SH.org OP Date
2020-03-08 09:46:44
SH.org Reaction Score
SH.org Reply Count

KD Archive

Not actually KorbenDallas
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Here is one additional issue I would like to have our professional historical scientists to clarify. I believe that historians are either deliberately misleading us, or ignore the below fact due to not being professional enough.

What did Julius Caesar look like?
I am not asking for an exact depiction of Julius Caesar. I will present two distinct types of this famous individual. I will ask to explain why one of the types was picked over the other one.
  • #1. Medieval Julius Caesar
  • #2. Ancient Julius Caesar
#1: Medieval Julius Caesar
13th or 14th Century
1200px-Neun_gute_helden_rathaus_koeln.jpg
Source

ca. 1400–1410
jc-1410.jpg
Source

c.1455
caesar-4.jpg
Source

c. 1474
julius-old.jpg
Source

nine_worthies_julius1.jpg
Source

I barely scratched the surface as far as medieval depictions of Julius Caesar go. There are many more out there

#2: Ancient Julius Caesar
Essentially what I'm trying to figure out is an approximate date of when historians identified that Julius Caesar should wear a toga, or any dress commonly attributed to ancient Romans. I am not sure when exactly, but at some point Julius Caesar started to look like this.

Vincenzo_Camuccini_-_La_morte_di_Cesare.jpg
Source

KD: We clearly have two totally differently dressed Julius Caesars. I do not think any explanations are required to emphasize the importance of picking the correct one. We all know which type of Julius Caesar was picked by the official history.

julius-all.jpg
My questions pertaining to the above choice are as follows:
  1. When (date) did the establishment first realize that Julius Caesar is not supposed to be wearing medieval clothing?
  2. What sources assisted in identifying toga as the preferred attire?
    • Name of the source, or sources
    • Date this source was discovered, or first mentioned in other sources.
    • If the identifying source was mentioned in other source, please provide similar information for other sources.
    • The name of the historian, or person, who made this break through discovery, and realized that dressing Julius Caesar in medieval garb was not correct?
NOTE: Please refrain from replying to this thread until we get the first answer from @Oisín, or other professional historians. If you want to share your opinion, please consider the following two related threads. Thank you.
Note: This OP was recovered from BING cache.

Users who are viewing this thread