• On Monday (April, 26) the site will be down for maintanance for around 12 hours, starting at 11:00 pm UTC as we complete the sh.org archive with the missing threads. 1300 new or upgraded threads will be added, and there will be complete reply archives for 2500 threads, adding around 20,000 replies.

Black Gate

zlax

Banned
Reaction score
Porta Nigra (lat. Porta Nigra – “black gate”) — the largest and most well-preserved Ancient Gates in the world.
ob_6b082c_dsc00757-1.jpg
Trier, on the Moselle River, and Augusta Raurica just across the Rhine River from Germany in Switzerland, are two of the best-preserved and most important Roman cities, much more than provincial posts (“Ancient Rome’s German, Swiss legacy preserved”)
ob_2937a3_dsc00755.jpg
The city of Trier, located at 10km north-east of Luxembourg.
ob_89cae7_dsc00706.jpg
Roman Trier was reinvented almost from scratch in the first half of the 19th century, at exactly the time when Karl Marx was growing up within its ancient walls. (Trier is the birthplace of Karl Marx).
ob_dafcce_dsc00733.jpg
Today we often identify artifacts with the period when they were made. In more traditional cultures, however, such objects as pictures, effigies, and buildings were valued not as much for their chronological age as for their perceived links to the remote origins of religions, nations, monasteries, and families. As a result, Christopher Wood argues, premodern Germans tended not to distinguish between older buildings and their newer replacements, or between ancient icons and more recent forgeries.
ob_624338_dsc00728.jpg
But Wood shows that over the course of the fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries, emerging replication technologies—such as woodcut, copper engraving, and movable type—altered the relationship between artifacts and time. Mechanization highlighted the artifice, materials, and individual authorship necessary to create an object, calling into question the replica’s ability to represent a history that was not its own. Meanwhile, print catalyzed the new discipline of archaeological scholarship, which began to draw sharp distinctions between true and false claims about the past. Ultimately, as forged replicas lost their value as historical evidence, they found a new identity as the intentionally fictional image-making we have come to understand as art.
frf.jpg
From The University Of Chicago press release.

ODD# I(e)/5,v;1Chs3185

A couple of years ago i discovered this fascinating academic publication, and it soon disappeared from the university website.
The description page survives in the web archive:
You can verify that this is not an accidental change of the link, but an intentional removal of academic book information from the University website by checking this:
And the author had three books, but now there are only two:

I wrote to the author requesting a digital version of this book. After a while he replied that he had made this request to the university - but the university refused to give the author a full version of his own book. He provided me with a digital version that included only the first part, the only digital version of the book he had. If anyone manages to get a full digital version of this academically censored book in the USA - i'd be grateful if you could share it. I am grateful in advance.

Last edited:

zlax

Banned
Reaction score
Here is a paper copy for sale at what seems to me to be a reasonable sum.
If anyone on this forum has the opportunity to purchase this book and make all the pages scanned or photographed - and share it - i would be extremely grateful. I had plans to translate the part that is available into Russian. Judging by the content in this book a lot of rare and hard-to-find information is collected, which concerns not only Germany, but probably all states of the world as well. I can add from myself that perhaps in a few years the acceptable price of these rare original material academic editions will increase by an order of magnitude.
There are at least a dozen copies in UK university libraries but none local to me.
Remarkably, this rare academic book, published by a US university, is being sold overseas, in UK. On this occasion i will quote an image describing the international nature of the enterprise from the article by John Darlington who is the executive director of World Monuments Fund Britain:
His book Fake Heritage: Why We Rebuild Monuments will be published by Yale University Press on 13 October
Confronting the allure, and the dangers, of fake heritage
327_mu_jd_crown_of_saitaferne_03.jpg

Silveryou

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I strongly believe that Porta Nigra was a church from the beginning.

St._Simeon_Trier_Caspar_Merian_1670_gross_new.jpg

In 1802 Napoleon transformed it in a fake "ancient" Roman Gate in the program for the rewriting of history which began after the defeat of the Holy Roman Empire. Napoleon was a freemason and one of the most important agents who intervened also in Italy and Egypt. He rebuilt a lot of European cities like Milan and Paris. It would be good to have a thread dedicated exclusively on his builing programs (aka destruction of true history and construction of a new fake one).

Last edited:

Oracle

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Seems the history elimination part of this reset is in full swing.
I recently did a search for more information about the benedictine Library in San Marco after reading an article where it was mentioned and got nothing other than talk of a Museum
By the way, the buildings in san Marco are Spectacular.