Canon 5D Mark III mounted on a satellite snaps photos of earth

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
I have posted this in off topic, as it is not strictly Stolen History, however given the amount of photography themes and space/ earth themes in stolen history, I thought that I would share my thoughts on this monumental garbage. My initial words are in italics

1610793213511.png

Headline: Source

There’s a Canon camera on a satellite right now that you can use to “take photos” of Earth. This camera is part of an interactive demonstration of the powers of the camera – coupled with a 40cm telescope – pointed at our planet. The camera that’s mounted to the company’s CE-SAT-I satellite is a “lightly modified” Canon 5D Mark III DSLR.

it continues....

'The satellite is known as CE-SAT-I – a tiny piece of hardware circling the earth right this minute. According to Canon, CE-SAT-I is “the first microsatellite entirely built by Canon… a small, light, and cost-efficient solution that’s redefining the limits of space imaging.”

'This satellite is 33-inches by 20-inches by 20-inches – rather tiny. It was first launched all the way back in 2017. While this satellite does indeed currently orbit the planet at 375 miles above the surface, snapping photos in a 3 x 2 mile frame, the photos you see in the interactive site are not captured live (Lol, come on folks, of course they are not). Wouldn’t want to leave a presentation like this up to hundreds or thousands of average internet pursuers, now, would they?'

'The site is narrated by astronaut Marsha Ivins, who speaks about the cost-efficient, high-resolution satellites of the future are “making space imaging more accessible.” Accessible with the same camera we got our hands on all the way back in the year 2012 – imagine that!'

'You can visit the interactive site at Redefine The Limits (dot US). Imagine if you had your own satellite just like this, able to snap photos whenever you like. Where would you look? What would you want to capture photos of? How far in would you dare to zoom?' I have tried this, its is monumental garbage, google earth style.

They inlcude this video, of 2 astronauts (actors) reading scripts. Why do I say this? Because my considerable knowledge of Cameras, Technology, photography, owning the same camera, and common sence tells me so.

Allow me to explain my experience.

I have owned a Canon 5Dmk3. Excellent camera, however.

The lithium ion batteries last about an hour in the cold, anything close to zero degrees and you need whole pocket full of them if you are out in the filed, let alone in the freezen vacum of 'space' So, who is changing the batteries every 60 minutes on this tiny satelite? Where are they storying the spares and or charging them? My guess is they will say it has a built in recharging system...

Radiation and the Camera. At around 7 mins this guy claims the 'cosmic radiation particles' bombarding all things in space will start to show on the senor as 'dead pixels' this happens on every digital camera I have ever owned or used, even ones whic are lightly used. He goes on the further claim that by packing cameras between 'water backpacks' this offers some protection from the radiation.... Whatever happened to payload weight onboard these 'space' craft.... Lets load them up with packets of water, yeh, good idea... AS for a 5D in a satelite, by his calculations, it useless.

The shutter actuation count. This guys suggests at 100,000 actuations, the shutter would 'shed metal' because they had 'overused' the camera. This is incorrect, the shutter life of the 5D is suggested by canon as at least 100,000, but I have friends who have them at 170,000 plus. I have never heard of any shutter shearing metal. they simply stop working.

Activating the camera. Of course you can remotely activate this camera, via a usb cable. The standard canon 5D Mk3 doesn't have wifi capability, but I am sure they could 'modify it so they could activate it remotely. The exposure would need to be changed, auto mode would not work on a moving object (shutter lag)

Memory: There are 2 slots for Memory cards on the 5D Mk3, One CF, on SD. Both have amax card size of 256gig. So thats around 512gig of data. So if they are shooting RAw, eaach file somwehre between 25 and 30mg, they will max at about 20,000 still images. Is that enough? Aagin, I am sure they will say they have 'expanded' the memory...or they can delted and start again remotely..

If they are shooting video, and grabing stills from footage, the 5D Mk3 automatically stops recording at 45 mins, or when the card is full, whichever comes first. It is really not designed for 'long clips' Also, you cannot zoom or auto focus in movie mode on the 5D, again they will have an anser for this 'lightly modified' If this is all real, the image zoom is a digital (post) zoom, not a real time actual physical 'lens' zoom.

I haven't even got into lenses, and fogging.... The mirror and fogging, the sensor and condensation in the cold...

In the accompnaying video, something else struck me as odd. They talk about a 12mm lens, which they couldn't keep or bring back, they had to burn it up in a trash vehicle? Makes sense...

I can't wait to see Terry's film, it must have taken an indordinate ammount of time to cgi it all together.

I beleive this is all headline maintenance. With regards to the tiny Canon satellite, my personal experience and common sense guess is that at best, this is another camera on board a high altitude plane. Or possibly all CGI garbage.

Here is a photo taken by me with a 5D Mk3: Compare that with the quality of the 'not live' verson on their weblink, the snapshot at the top of this OP. I think, it is b######s

7X7A9145 c.jpg

Cheers

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Look mister Timeshifter!

Firstly, You don't understand science!!

Science says whatever we want it to say!

Whatever experience you have as a professional photographer is irrelevant, because guess what? We can change the specs of the camera, it's set up, it's mechanical limitations at any time - no matter how many times we contradict ourselves, our own helioBS model, or cannon themselves!

All information can be retroactively changed, now stop wasting your time with this, and buy some NASA clothing - and join our religion.

-

In all seriousness, great work, but you see my point - whatever you call them out on they can just change their narrative at any point to dodge reality.

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but does anyone else notice the 'expert' is always on zoom faceslap or whatever in front of a full bookcase?
They pull the same con trick with zoomed pollies in 'conversation' with the media.
Subliminal messaging that seems to work on an awful lot of people.

The space imagery is such an obvious prank they appear to have stopped trying to make it seem real.

I'm sure someone will be along at some point to suggest this thing is really able to stay in space because of reasons but here's the box of tricks during construction.

[…] has a launch mass around 60 Kilograms and is 50 x 50 x 85 centimeters in size to facilitate the sizeable telescope. The craft uses body-mounted solar cells and a three-axis stabilization system with accurate pointing capability as required by the imaging payload.
sat2-730x486.jpeg

Source

Oh dear it doesn't even have gas powered thrusters to keep itself stable and on target.
To think people scoff at my pixie dust suggestion as being the magic that keeps them 'up there'!

But then again plasma might be the answer,

In addition to its imaging system, CE-SAT-1 also hosts a Magnetic Plasma Deorbit System which employs the satellite’s magnetic torquers to generate a magnetic moment that interacts with the ram plasma flow to create a plasma drag force. This type of system is of particular interest as it uses an existing onboard component and does not require the addition of other elements like drag brakes or propulsion systems to accelerate a satellite’s orbital decay.
Source

Dear god salt the earth and start again.

Edit to correct my typos. The ones in the quotes ain't mine!

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt there are satellites up there, but they're not in 'space'. They are hooked to balloons. The reason we can't see the live feed is it would be obvious that...

The earth is not a globe

And the satellites are not in 'space'.

There was a youtube channel (now vaporised) that dug out an official NASA document of balloon launches. Mir (the space station ) was one of them.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but does anyone else notice the 'expert' is always on zoom faceslap or whatever in front of a full bookcase?
They pull the same con trick with zoomed pollies in 'conversation' with the media.
Subliminal messaging that seems to work on an awful lot of people.

The space imagery is such an obvious prank they appear to have stopped trying to make it seem real.

I'm sure someone will be along at some point to suggest this thing is really able to stay in space because of reasons but here's the box of tricks during construction.

[…] has a launch mass around 60 Kilograms and is 50 x 50 x 85 centimeters in size to facilitate the sizeable telescope. The craft uses body-mounted solar cells and a three-axis stabilization system with accurate pointing capability as required by the imaging payload.

Oh dear it doesn't even have gas powered thrusters to keep itself stable and on target.
To think people scoff at my pixie dust suggestion as being the magic that keeps them 'up there'!

But then again plasma might be the answer,

In addition to its imaging system, CE-SAT-1 also hosts a Magnetic Plasma Deorbit System which employs the satellite’s magnetic torquers to generate a magnetic moment that interacts with the ram plasma flow to create a plasma drag force. This type of system is of particular interest as it uses an existing onboard component and does not require the addition of other elements like drag brakes or propulsion systems to accelerate a satellite’s orbital decay.
Source

Dear god salt the earth and start again.

Edit to correct my typos. The ones in the quotes ain't mine!
Thought you might like this. Perhaps pixie dust is real after all... I wonder where the magic line begins and ends...

'The student-build CubeSat will harness the laws of electromagnetism to remain in low earth orbit without thrusters or propellant'.

earths magnetic field will holdmini sat in orbit

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Cubesats indeed. Watch the richplanet video on the Aldebran project. Even he couldn't help laughing.
I recommend watching all four parts just for the hell of it.

But it seems at long last Nasa, whose rocket motors push against their own exhaust, have discovered pixie dust is the greener option.

The exhaust of these things pushed entire Saturn 5 rockets (2800 tonnes) off of the ground and into space yet strap them down and they cannot shift a bit of steelwork weighing many tonnes less apparently.

Spot any similarities?

The aborted test of the most powerful rocket motors ever made.
greenrun-hotfire1-879x485.jpeg

A steam valve blowing off.
steam.jpeg

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Thought you might like this. Perhaps pixie dust is real after all... I wonder where the magic line begins and ends...

'The student-build CubeSat will harness the laws of electromagnetism to remain in low earth orbit without thrusters or propellant'.

earths magnetic field will holdmini sat in orbit
[/QUOTE]
"These smaller spacecraft just don't last very long, maybe even days to weeks, or a few months, dependent upon how high they are," said Brian Gilchrist, a professor of electrical engineering and computer science at the University of Michigan.
I cant even

I live a few towns away from from U of M I can certify that there is a huge amount of crackpot science going on around here and at EMU which is just across the river from me. Everyone in Ann arbor is a wanabee Bond Villian pointless sciencey sorta projects abound

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Cubesats indeed. Watch the richplanet video on the Aldebran project. Even he couldn't help laughing.
I recommend watching all four parts just for the hell of it.

But it seems at long last Nasa, whose rocket motors push against their own exhaust, have discovered pixie dust is the greener option.

The exhaust of these things pushed entire Saturn 5 rockets (2800 tonnes) off of the ground and into space yet strap them down and they cannot shift a bit of steelwork weighing many tonnes less apparently.

Spot any similarities?

The aborted test of the most powerful rocket motors ever made.

A steam valve blowing off.
And just by happy coincidence they are able to make rain!

View: https://youtu.be/BIpeNs5OWbo

luddite

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt there are satellites up there, but they're not in 'space'. They are hooked to balloons. The reason we can't see the live feed is it would be obvious that...

The earth is not a globe

And the satellites are not in 'space'.

There was a youtube channel (now vaporised) that dug out an official NASA document of balloon launches. Mir (the space station ) was one of them.

It's all smoke and mirrors.
I downloaded that entire channel. Planate veritas