Cwm Cipwrth Copper mine

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello everyone.

Today I've been walking in the hills in Snowdonia (against lockdown "rules" - go me!).

We decided to walk up to an abandoned copper mine, that sits two miles up a very difficult sheep track on the slopes of the hills.

It has a 25 foot water wheel (made of steel).

And some beams that must way a few tonnes each.

What I wondered, is how on earth did they get this heavy gear up two miles into the mountains in 1850, when today you would have to fly it in by helicopter in bits.

The site is so remote that it's immune to vandals... But not so remote that they assembled this gear in the 1850s... And furthermore how on earth would you have gotten the copper ore down the mountain ??

Any ideas appreciated

Luke

Here is a link

Last edited:

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

Hello everyone.

Today I've been walking in the hills in Snowdonia (against lockdown "rules" - go me!).

We decided to walk up to an abandoned copper mine, that sits two miles up a very difficult sheep track on the slopes of the hills.

It has a 25 foot water wheel (made of steel).

And some beams that must way a few tonnes each.

What I wondered, is how on earth did they get this heavy gear up two miles into the mountains in 1850, when today you would have to fly it in by helicopter in bits.

The site is so remote that it's immune to vandals... But not so remote that they assembled this gear in the 1850s... And furthermore how on earth would you have gotten the copper ore down the mountain ??

Any ideas appreciated

Luke

Here is a link

There is a 25ft diameter waterwheel which is typical of its era in construction and was made by Dingey and Sons of Truro,
Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 17.50.57.png

So lets say not by land but by sea, but it would still need transportation from the shore,

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 17.56.58.png

That is the closest river so i guess it could have got that far by boat or barge but after that the terrain gets really tough!

Last edited:

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also,

They shut it down after 46 years, isn't that a bit odd? All that effort to set it up...

Apparently profitable for 46 years, but then it gets shut down, so it took them 46 years to realise it wasn't profitable? Hmmm

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Also,

They shut it down after 46 years, isn't that a bit odd? All that effort to set it up...

Apparently profitable for 46 years, but then it gets shut down, so it took them 46 years to realise it wasn't profitable? Hmmm
A lot of strangeness in that area, this is just over the way and not that for from Canaveron Castle

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 18.33.22.png

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
The wheel is a bolt together kit of parts as you can see in the images on this page.

cwm ciprwth wheel4.jpg

rods1.jpg

My guess would be pack horses as the ultimate delivery vehicle over the steepest parts of the ground and a carriers horse and cart up the point where the pack horses were required.

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
The wheel is a bolt together kit of parts as you can see in the images on this page.

My guess would be pack horses as the ultimate delivery vehicle over the steepest parts of the ground and a carriers horse and cart up the point where the pack horses were required.
The thumbnail makes it seem much bigger than it really is!

Magnetic

Trusted Member
Reaction score
High copper percentage ore is rare in the world and that's why the copper mines in the Michigan Islands were used heavily and supplied the copper to the whole world in previous civilization(s). Now low quality mines are all that is left and they have to process huge amounts of ore to get a small amount of copper. I would assume the copper mine in Wales was a high copper ore.