Giant people in Francesco Lazzaro Guardi's paintings?

HELLBOY

Reaction score
FRANCESCO GUARDI loved painting his hometown in every detail. The paintings are so detailed that a couple of questions arise. He stubbornly drew people of unusual stature? Comparing the image with a real photo of the Doge's Palace, most of the designs will turn out to be gigantic.
0francesco_guardi_retratado_por_pietro_longhi_1764.jpg
Francesco Lazzaro Guardi
(October 5, 1712 - January 1, 1793) was a veteran painter.
Vedutismo (from veduta, ‘sight’ in Italian; plural, vedute) is a very typical pictorial genre of the Italian Settecento (18th century), developed mainly in Venice. Framed within landscaping, in vedutism generally urban views are represented, in perspective, sometimes reaching a cartographic style, where panoramic images of the city are reproduced, carefully describing canals, monuments and typical places of Venice, alone or with the presence of the human figure, generally small and in large groups of people. Conceived as souvenirs - almost like postcards - for foreign travelers.
33_francesco_guardi_the_feast_of_the_ascension_wga10861.jpg
12.png
2017_PAR_14270_0032_000(francesco_guardi_la_place_saint-marc_a_venise_avec_la_basilique_et_le0...jpg
13.png

Francesco_Guardi_-_The_Piazza_San_Marco_Venice_-_(MeisterDrucke-552220).jpg
14.png
Francesco-Guardi-The-Piazza-San-Marco-Venice.jpg
15.png

Guardi,Francesco_-_The_Departure_of_Bucentaur_for_the_Lido_on_Ascension_Day.jpg
16.png

If you believe the art critics that the dwarfs in the photo are children, then a nursery was set up in the square. The children come to their knees, like the usual giants, in jackets and discuss the latest news. They handle so much detail in proportions of structures and not handle them in stature of people. that's why I think there were people of that size.
24francesco_guardi_hot_air_balloon_rising_wga10880.jpg
11.png

I found a ship similar to that of Bartolomeu de Gusmão SH Archive - 1709: a Jesuit Flying Ship by Bartolomeu de Gusmão

He also had several caprice works.
francesco-guardi-capriccio-211549_thumb.jpg
Lempertz-1108-1108-Old-Masters-and-19th-Century-Art-Francesco-Guardi-Capriccio-con-Arco-rovina...jpg
His first vedutas show the influence of both Canaletto and Luca Carlevarijs.
Canaletto also has this comparison about little people of today with those of the past:
giants.jpg
giants_1.jpg

Searches:

rwiser

Reaction score
Interesting. Of course, details matter. My Grandfather was an architect, (I took a few courses myself and then decided to be an engineer, working on electrical devices for the heart, etc.). I think he's the reason my life took a strange turn, I was in an abusive family and I'm sure that he saw to my adoption.

My adoptive mother was very tall for her age, well over 6 feet, kind and hardworking - owned a small farm. She also said that she was a Native, said her tribe was from the Dakotas. Though she was clearly Caucasian - from her father. My adopted father was French, a short man, (that didn't matter to them). Said her grand-mother lived past 100, ( smoked cigars and drank whiskey and owned a 1200 acre ranch). She also mentioned that they were dependents of royalty. I thought she was joking then, (no I think she was serious).

She passed away early in life, suffered from rheumatism, (sounds like "room" in there, I know). Died of heart failure while I was away in the Navy. I believe she was a descendent of giants and their hearts.. well, its a sad reality. When I see photos of large, tall people, I can see the resemblance.

It wasn't until much later that I was able put the clues together. I would have loved for her to still be alive so I could ask the right questions.
Sites such as this and the time folks take to post things, help.

HELLBOY

Reaction score
Interesting. Of course, details matter. My Grandfather was an architect, (I took a few courses myself and then decided to be an engineer, working on electrical devices for the heart, etc.). I think he's the reason my life took a strange turn, I was in an abusive family and I'm sure that he saw to my adoption.

My adoptive mother was very tall for her age, well over 6 feet, kind and hardworking - owned a small farm. She also said that she was a Native, said her tribe was from the Dakotas. Though she was clearly Caucasian - from her father. My adopted father was French, a short man, (that didn't matter to them). Said her grand-mother lived past 100, ( smoked cigars and drank whiskey and owned a 1200 acre ranch). She also mentioned that they were dependents of royalty. I thought she was joking then, (no I think she was serious).

She passed away early in life, suffered from rheumatism, (sounds like "room" in there, I know). Died of heart failure while I was away in the Navy. I believe she was a descendent of giants and their hearts.. well, its a sad reality. When I see photos of large, tall people, I can see the resemblance.

It wasn't until much later that I was able put the clues together. I would have loved for her to still be alive so I could ask the right questions.
Sites such as this and the time folks take to post things, help.
It really would have been very interesting to hear the stories I had to tell you, grandparents have so much knowledge and memories that you can make a book with everything they lived. I thank you for sharing this anecdote of your life that surely opens our minds a bit of what our past could have been, greetings!

Gold

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Hey, excellent thread, I noticed this too on my own and thought about making this a topic myself. This one by Canaletto was the first instance of art like this I found on my own and noticed giant humans. Circa 1749, Westminster Abbey, Canaletto

Westminster_Abbey_by_Canaletto,_1749.jpg

I did some sizing up with pictures of people next to the fences in modern times using rough estimation and it seems like there really are giants depicted in it as well as some normal sized people. Giants in the Church seems to be a theme. So do giant rowers on boats and normal sized people as passengers throughout many many arts.

Some of those paintings seem to show something I've suspected: the existence of 7~ and 12~ foot tall giants from the 1700s to the 1800s where in the 1800s it seems most of them had died out and only the 7 foot tall class was left, then they died out in the 1900s. Old black and white photos of 19th century giants almost exclusively seem to be 7-8 foot tall ones.

Another detail is that buildings and cities "from" the 1600s-1700s include doors that would suit 12~ foot tall class citizens, and many of us suspect there was a second flooding event sometime in the 1800s. It's after this period you start to see in cities and such no more doors for 12 foot tall people but for 7-8 foot tall people. Look at old cities, New York and such. On many buildings with buried basement windows and huge windows underneath drainage grates on the sidewalk, you see gorgeous door frames that suspiciously perfectly match the proportions of the windows as if they're a renovation. However, these windows turned doors have exceptional door frames, matching the quality of the building, implying that these buildings were renovated with the same infrastructure and level of technology that they were originally created with or roughly equal. I strongly feel like that's evidence that there were still 7 foot tall giants around but not many 12 foot tall ones at all.

Curiously, as we often see in old colossal buildings, the biggest floors with the tallest doors and windows are the ones on and closer to the ground level. Many renovated buildings in old cities like New York I've observed have buried windows that seem to exceed the 8-9 foot tall windows that the doors are made out of. It really seems to point to a gradual erasure of giants from tallest to smallest. Other threads by KD like the one on lightning rod fashion highlight the possibility there were strange atmospheric anomalies that are no longer present like lightning nuking people on a regular basis in daily life, indicating something we've suspected for a while: gradual, massive, atmospheric changes throughout the centuries. Perhaps this erosion of the atmosphere affected gravity or oxygen levels required to support giants and as we move into the modern age anyone born with these traits winds up dying out because the atmosphere can't support them without them suffering from gigantism and the genes wind up dying out or adapting to the harsher environment. Or maybe it's just genetic recession, it's hard to tell since modern sized people seem to have always existed alongside giants. Giants seem to range in class from 7 to 12-15 to 20+ feet if architecture is anything to go off of. And if you believe in mudfossils there were some truly colossal beings roaming the Earth.

Old medieval art seems to depict these beings frequently, where some arts can be explained away as exaggeration I find it curious a lot of art depicts colossal people in medieval cities where the buildings would never house them but curiously the gates to them are perfectly sized for them. Patterns.

Saturn Devouring His Children, Maitre Francois - 1475-1480 - many such similar arts on this website: OMNIA - Saturn devouring his children; Jupiter chasing Saturn out of the city (background)
saturn.jpg

Off topic but slightly on topic is another pattern I've noticed - in art, nobles and giants (one in the same back then?) very, very often are depicted with falcions.I believe. I've yet to find any photos or evidence of surviving giant messers and falchions but we have a lot of ones suited for normal sized people with proportions and handling that suggest they were made for function. I've been trying to find surviving examples of giant examples of these swords to no avail but we have a lot of normal sized ones across many centuries. Strange. Royalty really seemed to love these types of sword.
h1_47.101.3.jpg

Source: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/468233

Messers are a type of sword that are essentially the same except for different hilt construction compensating with a nagel or nail on one side of the hilt for extra hand protection for the unarmored, with longer hilts for balance and curiously, slats of wood sandwiching the tang. It is this construction that created a loophole, we are told, that made these swords legal, and they were called messer which means knife because it reflected their legal classification. I've yet to see giant royalty depicted with messers but I see an awful lot of old art from this era where blatantly giant nobles have falchions, a more knightly version of the sword with less hand protection, probably because royalty had armor and peasants did not.

With art from this era, it can be argued things were left up to artistic interpretation far more than art in the 1700s~ and beyond but I still find myself noticing patterns that make me take pause such as the swords the giant class seemed to favor and their depictions in art where they're in an archway or building that matches their proportions surrounded by much smaller people.

I saw some speculation on this image that Arthur had 6 fingers but I believe that to be a fold on the fabric he's wearing. I try to pay attention to the hands because of a curious anomaly with giants and their digits, lots of very large giants 20 feet and above found in caves and burial sites are reported to have 6 fingers a hand but the account of cave giants in Afghanistan by US military sources suggested they were also a feature on the 7 to 12 foot tall classes. I've yet to find art from the medieval era and after depicting 6 fingered giants but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Last edited:

HELLBOY

Reaction score
Hey, excellent thread, I noticed this too on my own and thought about making this a topic myself. This one by Canaletto was the first instance of art like this I found on my own and noticed giant humans. Circa 1749, Westminster Abbey, Canaletto

View attachment 5483

I did some sizing up with pictures of people next to the fences in modern times using rough estimation and it seems like there really are giants depicted in it as well as some normal sized people. Giants in the Church seems to be a theme. So do giant rowers on boats and normal sized people as passengers throughout many many arts.

Some of those paintings seem to show something I've suspected: the existence of 7~ and 12~ foot tall giants from the 1700s to the 1800s where in the 1800s it seems most of them had died out and only the 7 foot tall class was left, then they died out in the 1900s. Old black and white photos of 19th century giants almost exclusively seem to be 7-8 foot tall ones.

Another detail is that buildings and cities "from" the 1600s-1700s include doors that would suit 12~ foot tall class citizens, and many of us suspect there was a second flooding event sometime in the 1800s. It's after this period you start to see in cities and such no more doors for 12 foot tall people but for 7-8 foot tall people. Look at old cities, New York and such. On many buildings with buried basement windows and huge windows underneath drainage grates on the sidewalk, you see gorgeous door frames that suspiciously perfectly match the proportions of the windows as if they're a renovation. However, these windows turned doors have exceptional door frames, matching the quality of the building, implying that these buildings were renovated with the same infrastructure and level of technology that they were originally created with or roughly equal. I strongly feel like that's evidence that there were still 7 foot tall giants around but not many 12 foot tall ones at all.

Curiously, as we often see in old colossal buildings, the biggest floors with the tallest doors and windows are the ones on and closer to the ground level. Many renovated buildings in old cities like New York I've observed have buried windows that seem to exceed the 8-9 foot tall windows that the doors are made out of. It really seems to point to a gradual erasure of giants from tallest to smallest. Other threads by KD like the one on lightning rod fashion highlight the possibility there were strange atmospheric anomalies that are no longer present like lightning nuking people on a regular basis in daily life, indicating something we've suspected for a while: gradual, massive, atmospheric changes throughout the centuries. Perhaps this erosion of the atmosphere affected gravity or oxygen levels required to support giants and as we move into the modern age anyone born with these traits winds up dying out because the atmosphere can't support them without them suffering from gigantism and the genes wind up dying out or adapting to the harsher environment. Or maybe it's just genetic recession, it's hard to tell since modern sized people seem to have always existed alongside giants. Giants seem to range in class from 7 to 12-15 to 20+ feet if architecture is anything to go off of. And if you believe in mudfossils there were some truly colossal beings roaming the Earth.

Old medieval art seems to depict these beings frequently, where some arts can be explained away as exaggeration I find it curious a lot of art depicts colossal people in medieval cities where the buildings would never house them but curiously the gates to them are perfectly sized for them. Patterns.

Saturn Devouring His Children, Maitre Francois - 1475-1480 - many such similar arts on this website: OMNIA - Saturn devouring his children; Jupiter chasing Saturn out of the city (background)
View attachment 5482

Off topic but slightly on topic is another pattern I've noticed - in art, nobles and giants (one in the same back then?) very, very often are depicted with falcions.I believe. I've yet to find any photos or evidence of surviving giant messers and falchions but we have a lot of ones suited for normal sized people with proportions and handling that suggest they were made for function. I've been trying to find surviving examples of giant examples of these swords to no avail but we have a lot of normal sized ones across many centuries. Strange. Royalty really seemed to love these types of sword.
View attachment 5484
Source: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/468233

Messers are a type of sword that are essentially the same except for different hilt construction compensating with a nagel or nail on one side of the hilt for extra hand protection for the unarmored, with longer hilts for balance and curiously, slats of wood sandwiching the tang. It is this construction that created a loophole, we are told, that made these swords legal, and they were called messer which means knife because it reflected their legal classification. I've yet to see giant royalty depicted with messers but I see an awful lot of old art from this era where blatantly giant nobles have falchions, a more knightly version of the sword with less hand protection, probably because royalty had armor and peasants did not.

With art from this era, it can be argued things were left up to artistic interpretation far more than art in the 1700s~ and beyond but I still find myself noticing patterns that make me take pause such as the swords the giant class seemed to favor and their depictions in art where they're in an archway or building that matches their proportions surrounded by much smaller people.

I saw some speculation on this image that Arthur had 6 fingers but I believe that to be a fold on the fabric he's wearing. I try to pay attention to the hands because of a curious anomaly with giants and their digits, lots of very large giants 20 feet and above found in caves and burial sites are reported to have 6 fingers a hand but the account of cave giants in Afghanistan by US military sources suggested they were also a feature on the 7 to 12 foot tall classes. I've yet to find art from the medieval era and after depicting 6 fingered giants but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Great! truly interesting!
May I ask you, how true is it that these giants fed on atmospheric ether? do you believe in this theory?
According to this interview with Nikola Tesla, he seems to be following that:

JOURNALIST: Futurists say that the 20th and 21st centuries were born in the head of Nikola Tesla. They celebrate the magnetic field in reverse and sing hymns to the induction motor.
Its creator was called "the hunter who caught the light in his nets from the depths of the earth", and "the warrior who captured fire from heaven."
It is said that he is the father of alternating current, who will make Physics and Chemistry dominate half the world. Industry will proclaim him its supreme saint, a banker to the greatest benefactors.
In Nikola Tesla's laboratory for the first time an atom has been broken. A weapon has been created that produces seismic vibrations. There, black cosmic rays were discovered.
Five races will pray to him in the temple of the future, because he has taught them a great secret: that the elements of Empedocles can be watered with the life forces of the ethers.

TESLA: Yes, these are some of my most important discoveries. Still I am a defeated man. I have not achieved the greatest of my goals.

JOURNALIST: What would that wish be, Mr. Tesla?

TESLA: I wanted to light up the whole earth. There is enough electricity to create a second sun.
The light would appear around the equator, like a ring around Saturn. Humanity is not ready for greatness. In Colorado Springs I have impregnated the earth with electricity.
We can also water the other energies, such as positive mental energy, which is found in the music of Bach or Mozart, or in the verses of the great poets.
Inside the Earth there are energies of joy, peace and love that are expressed for example through a flower that grows from the ground, the food that comes out of it and everything that makes it the home of man.
I have spent years looking for a way that this energy could influence people. The beauty and scent of roses can be used as a medicine and the sun's rays as food.
Life has an infinite number of forms and the duty of scientists is to find them in all forms of matter. Three things are essential in this regard.
All I do is look for them.
I know I will not find them, but still I will not give them up.

JOURNALIST: What are these things?

TESLA: One problem is food. What energy, stellar or terrestrial, can feed the hungry on Earth? With what wine can all thirst be watered, so that people can animate their hearts and understand that they are gods? Another thing is to destroy the power of evil and the suffering in which man's life passes! Sometimes they occur like an epidemic in the depths of space. In this century the disease had spread from Earth to the Universe. The third thing is: is there an excess of light in the Universe? I discovered a star that according to astronomical and mathematical laws could disappear, and still nothing would change. That star is in this galaxy. Its light can be emitted with such density that it fits into a sphere smaller than an apple and at the same time heavier than our Solar System. Religions and philosophies teach that man can become the Christ, Buddha, and Zarathustra. What I am trying to demonstrate is revolutionary and almost inaccessible. It is what must be done in the Universe so that each being is born as Christ, Buddha or Zarathustra. I know that gravity is adverse to everything that has to fly and my intention is not to make the flight devices (planes or missiles), but to teach the individual to regain consciousness on their own wings ... I am also trying to awaken the energy contained in the air. There are main energy sources. What is considered empty space is only a manifestation of matter that is not awake. There is no empty space on this planet, nor in the Universe ... Black holes, which astronomers talk about, are the most powerful sources of energy and life.

JOURNALIST: At the window of your room at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on the thirty-third floor, the birds come every morning.

TESLA: A man must be sensitive towards birds. This is because of its wings. The human being had them once real and visible!

What do you think of this Tesla says? Do you think Tesla existed?

Users who are viewing this thread