History of the Bicycle

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Looking at the history of motorbikes lead me onto Bicycles - and then to Velocipedes!

Check out the "official" line on them at Velocipede - Wikipedia

So in 1870, this wooden piece of trash was the best thing that we could design - for the cobbled streets of Paris? I sense we are being lied to!

Velocipede_Michaux-1.jpg

Post automatically merged:

What about some of the other inventions of the 1870's for comparison - to see if this is a reasonable level of tech for even the official capability of the era

E.Bearclaw

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Unless you think of it in line of a 'post-reset' type invention - in which case the timing of its invention makes sense (I suspect you do!).

One thing that is peculiar is that it required a patent. The nature of patents I find strange. For one could easily re-imagine the patent system to be more a method of control for what tech is allowed by a particular society. And also for those in the know - putting out a shopping / ingredient list of inventions they can make money from.
(I think I read this idea from someone on SH 1.0, sorry that I cannot remember who it was, as I would like to give credit not take it).

Whilst there is some "history" of patents from "ancient hellas", and 16th Century England. It would appear that most of the Patenting happened around the 18th / 19th Century.

I'm speculating that if there was a reset - a bicycle (a relatively simple invention) would perhaps be one of the first things to occur after. Along with other things such as the History of Photography, I would hazard a guess that the dates that these come into existence, could perhaps be a yardstick for a possible reset timeline.

msw141

Trusted Member
Reaction score
There's probably an entire level in the Vatican sub-basement that is filled with ancient bicycles that they collected after the mudflood to remove them from the public record. The bones and skulls were stashed in the catacombs below Paris.

I thought for sure I could find some tangential evidence of their existence. Not direct evidence, but like scrawled in the margins of some codex or a detail in the background of a Heironymous Bosch painting. Something like that. I was able to find examples of wheels and wheelbarrows and carts, but no bicycles yet. But I will keep an eye out for it.

Just some examples of wheel objects in some Heironymous Bosch painting. These are just small details blown up from a much larger painting. These are early 1500s.
1516boschhaywain detail.png boschwheeldetail1.jpg

In this example, this text is (I think) called The Hours of Catherine of Cleves. I think it is a prayerbook. The artwork on the left is called The Mouth of Hell and this was dated to about 1440 AD.
mouth of hell final absolution.png
What's that thing in the corner?
wheelbarrow_detail.png
Now I'm not saying wheelbarrows are hi-tech, but if you have this, then I can't believe bicycles are outside of your reach. For people that walked or rode smelly donkeys to get around, you have to think people spent idle time wondering if there wasn't a better means of conveyance.

This one I found interesting, it is in a painting called Last Judgment by Lucas Cranach the Elder, assumed to be from 1520-1525 AD, in a church in Germany.
lastjudgement.jpg
What's that at the bottom?
lucascranachtheelderdetail.jpg
So close.

If you've made it this far, you are probably wondering why I'm focusing on this at all since they had depictions of carriages and chariots as far back as this Standard of Ur from 2500 BC:
Standard_of_Ur_-_War.jpg
or this meticulously detailed chariot in gold from roughly 400 BC
Oxus_chariot_model.jpg

One reason for that would be that I just found this stuff after the others, but also medieval artwork tends to have a lot of minutia going on in the backgrounds. One of them surely has to have captured evidence of a bike predating what is currently accepted as the first.

msw141

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I found this graphic depicting the accepted history of bicycles. (very long graphic)
timeline-history-of-the-bicycle.png

At the top was this entry. I never heard of this before.
timeline-history-of-the-bicycle copy.png

I checked into Giovanni Fontana and i think he probaby deserves his own thread, and likely someone already had one on the original forum, I'll have to look.

Giovanni Fontana was an engineer and multi-discipline scientist that predates Leonardo Davinci. He lived in Venice from 1395 to 1455 AD. I did a quick browse, and will post just a couple of the interesting tidbits I saw.

From this site, it sounds like he was into automatons and complex clockwork mechanisms. He also had access to ancient texts possessing ancient knowledge.

Fontana had a wide range of interests and studied mechanical arts from the Greek and Arabic texts, reading historical works on optics, astrology and alchemy (intrinsic medical studies back then), pneumatic and hydraulic mechanics, military machines and the art of memory.

Some pictures of his automata concepts from his treatist called Bellicorum instrumentorum liber, cum figuris et fictitys litoris conscriptus (Illustrated and encrypted book of war instruments):

fontana-screens.jpg Fontana1.jpg Fontana2.jpg Fontana3.jpg

In the early 1420s, Fontana's career in Padua must have been struck down by accusations of witchcraft. When witnesses at Padua exclaimed that a torpedo he had designed must run by diabolic power, he refuted them with contempt: the device was purely mechanical, as befitted a maker who was also a master of both medieval Archimedean statics and optics and of Renaissance engineering craft.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect this might be that torpedo device. It looks rocket powered, so maybe it's not the mechanically propelled device mentioned above.
folio-16v.jpg

This guy definitely could have built a bicycle. This is his concept that was mentioned at the top that contained gears that were operated with rope.

Giovanni_Fontana_(engineer)_Johannes_de_Fontana_Bellicorum_instrumentorum_liber_cum_figuris.jpg

JohnNada

Trusted Member
Reaction score
From what I could find, it looks like a fella named Karl Drais is credited with inventing the first version of what we would consider to be a bicycle in 1813, roughly 400 years after Fontana’s collection of fantastical war machines and hand powered cars. Source
Of course, according to Wikipoodia Karl Drais also invented such classics as the typewriter, the stenograph, a device to record piano music to paper, the first meat grinder, and two human powered four wheeled vehicles, the second of which he presented to the Vienna congress as they were dividing up Europe after “defeating” “Napoleon.” All of this while acting as a civil servant forest official. Interesting guy to say the least. Here’s an artist’s rendition of Karl enjoying his new found toy....wait, I meant to say his invention:
3878D77A-3374-41FF-95B5-951844D46E22.jpeg

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
From what I could find, it looks like a fella named Karl Drais is credited with inventing the first version of what we would consider to be a bicycle in 1813, roughly 400 years after Fontana’s collection of fantastical war machines and hand powered cars. Source
Of course, according to Wikipoodia Karl Drais also invented such classics as the typewriter, the stenograph, a device to record piano music to paper, the first meat grinder, and two human powered four wheeled vehicles, the second of which he presented to the Vienna congress as they were dividing up Europe after “defeating” “Napoleon.” All of this while acting as a civil servant forest official. Interesting guy to say the least. Here’s an artist’s rendition of Karl enjoying his new found toy....wait, I meant to say his invention:
View attachment 3575
What a loaded pic that is, masonic triangles and i am sure that is a reversed eye of RA on the front end, half a century before the pyramids were found.

I am sure the eye of ra was something do do with fractions!

Maybe it's just my confirmation bias!
horus.jpeg

JohnNada

Trusted Member
Reaction score
View attachment 3575
What a loaded pic that is, masonic triangles and i am sure that is a reversed eye of RA on the front end, half a century before the pyramids were found.

I am sure the eye of ra was something do do with fractions!

Maybe it's just my confirmation bias!
View attachment 3576
I’m quite certain you are correct in spotting the eye! As you can see in this other illustration, the same curves that create the image of the iris are not present:
947C5A4B-4D8C-4B99-B4AD-E72AEC483393.png

In fact, I have had some difficulty finding any other image showing those same curves. Certainly interesting that wiki chose the image with the most symbolism present to show him on his invention. That being said, I could not find anything solidly pointing to Drais being a mason. However, it does appear that he may have been a puppet to some much higher power individuals who ensured everything was taken from him once he had served his purpose.

All of that being said, I still find it difficult to believe that out of nowhere, Drais just happens to invent a bicycle, typewriter, meat grinder, and a couple of hand powered vehicles with little background in the field of mechanics.....and is then granted an honorary title of Professor of Mechanics.

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Could it be that instead of a great mudflood or cataclysm, the cataclysmic event was purely authoritarians cracking down every few hundred years or so, much like the reset going on right now...

Using as someone excellently alluded to, the patent office to curb any new inventions.

Maybe some of these wooden bicycles are inventors trying to work around laws at the time forbidding travel by X means etc.

Such excellent contributions thanks guys KD would have been proud

BStankman

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I don't believe this is 2000 years old, and I don't particularly trust this this guy.
But like most of the 1800 patents, they were probably stolen ideas.

My best guess is these were around for a long time, and really didn't have a demand prior to industrialization and fractional reserve banking destroying the standard of living. A horse or an oxen was probably easily afforded by all families to ride or pull their wagon.
And only the most outlandish would desire a bicycle or a human powered rickshaw.

msw141

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I like that guy b/c there aren't many english language youtubers that cover these wonderful sites in south asia the way there are for Egypt and South America. when I was searching for old bicycle information he was plastered all over the results which was weird because I think his channel is relatively small. The reason for him being prominent in the results was that he got fact-check swatted by Snopes and bunch of other similar outfits. They say that this temple was "renovated" in 1902 or something which explains the bicycle. Who the f*ck renovates a 2000 year old temple with new and contemporary carvings? It really doesn't make sense, partially because it's in relief so did they really chip away from an existing pillar? did they remove another carving or was it just unfinished stone? Seems odd, but whatever fine so be it. For me, any time I see the debunk police get triggered so hard like that I have to wonder if he's not scratching the surface on something. I remember him posting videos saying that his channel was going to get banned and he didn't know why. It seems clear now it's the residual effect of being the target of these narrative gatekeepers.
Post automatically merged:

Just saw that Praveen has nearly a million subscribers, I didn't mean to call him a small channel. I started watching his videos a few years ago, I didn't realize he got that big. good for him.

Last edited:

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Look up or out for 'early' images of pulleys to see the probability they had bikes. Bikes are basically an endless pulley.
Endless ropes are another marker for when bikes came into use.

The whole point of the patent system is to put all things under the patent registrars lock and key.

Tetrahedra

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Nothing has been invented in the last decades or centuries, except for our fake history.
Everything existed before, but was destroyed. Not that long ago. Then brought back by AC-Thors in a retroengineered form.
Everything has been turned into big business, profit for the parasitic EL-ites.

This bike is a relief on the Karang temple in Bali, indonesia.
400097900259_191175.jpg
it's an artistic depiction of "ancient Tech", electromagnetic bike.

JohnNada

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Nothing has been invented in the last decades or centuries, except for our fake history.
Everything existed before, but was destroyed. Not that long ago. Then brought back by AC-Thors in a retroengineered form.
Everything has been turned into big business, profit for the parasitic EL-ites.

This bike is a relief on the Karang temple in Bali, indonesia.
View attachment 3639it's an artistic depiction of "ancient Tech", electromagnetic bike.
As cool as it would be that this relief depicts and ancient bicycle, it appears this has been Debunked. I guess that begs the question of who debunks the debunkers?

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I had a peruse of an 19th century encyclopedia for bicycle and the entry mirrored the wikipedia entry.
Interestingly the word axle or its variation axel didn't warrant an entry!

The Bali temple stone carving is missing forks and indeed axles!

msw141

Trusted Member
Reaction score
it appears this has been Debunked.
With an army of "fact checkers" at the ready - isn't this the kind of cover story we should expect?
I resisted posting that bali mural because I did read the fact-check on it and it had sufficient detail to make sense.

However, I'm still skeptical about the Panchavarnaswamy temple "debunking" because they claim that contemporary carvings were added during a turn of the century renovation......ok so where are the pictures of other contemporary objects from that temple? I've looked online and I cannot find any. This should be mandatory for the fact-checker to show, but as we know they are so lazy. Think about it, Praveen's video would have included those assuming he was believing them to OOPARTs. But he only shows the bike, and I've rewatched the video and there's no glimpse of other carvings that look out of place.

I could use some other eyes on these pictures. I found them in digging into this topic. On the first two I get references to Panchavarnaswamy temple but I'm not sure of that, it looks different. And the third one says Bali but this doesn't look like the debunked one. the caption said it was depicting the Dutch arriving on bikes which appears to reference the 1906 intervention.

bike1.jpg bike2.jpg bike3.jpg