Letters to History Teachers: An Open Invitation

SonofaBor

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I've been writing to local and regional office holders about both science and history. I'd like to encourage others to do so, too. I'll start this thread with an exchange I had. I would like to invite others to write similarly and post some or all of their missives. Let me know if I'm a fool for starting this thread, and I'll take it down. Comments and rebuttals are, of course, welcome.

(After brief introduction):

I want to share with you a historically inflected story and ask a couple questions.

In 1979, I took AP American History, as a 15-year-old sophomore. (In those days, we didn’t have World History as a course offering or requirement). Our teacher was Rod Monroe. Mr. Monroe was a Democratic Representative to the Oregon Legislature from Portland. 1979 was an election year, and Mr. Monroe was up for re-election. He won, and two years later he ran for State Superintendent of Public Instruction and lost. A highly political and ambitious man, he only once spoke to our class about contemporary politics. That occurred the day after the presidential election and his own victory. He was subdued. He simply stated that he had known for a couple months that Ronald Reagan would win election. How did he know? He didn’t say. But looking back, I recall the summer of 1979 as severely distressing. The evening news (the equivalent of today’s 24/7 news bombardment) focused without fail on the “Iranian Hostage Crisis.” Each day was numbered; every report was bleak. President Carter’s attempt at rescue failed. Did Mr. Monroe know about the back-door deals between Republican operatives and the Iranian Revolution leadership that would culminate with the inauguration-day release of the hostages? Did he know that elements of our own government (two key players of which bear the surnames Strzok and Dunham— yes, directly related to two very well-known public figures of our contemporary era) had a hand in instigating the revolution? Probably not. The media bombardment was enough to change the mood of the electorate. In any case, as an insider, he knew the score.

Mr. Monroe, however, did focus through the entire course on one key facet of American life: the banks. From Jefferson to Jackson and Lincoln to Wilson, we learned of the constant struggle between farmers and manufacturers and the banking interests. He was always matter-of-fact. And though I wasn’t the best student in those days, I was influenced sufficiently to write my AP paper on the Crash of 1929. I read naively the NY Times accounts of how the key banking families were doing everything they could to buy stock and stem the devastation of the crash. I got a B+.

Mr. Monroe never spoke about religion or our personal lives. The only time I went to see him was with a specific question about American religion. I asked about Mormonism and the displacement of Native Americans and sometimes violent encroachments of settlers of other faiths. I remember this meeting was very quick. He simply said, “That is a very interesting question, but I don’t know much about the particulars.” He didn’t inquire about my family or their religion.

The interest kindled by Mr. Monroe in banking remains with me to this day. The matter-of-fact scholarly approach to history served me well as I realized an academic career. For example, during my time as a teacher, I was fortunate to know (the recently deceased) David Graeber (perhaps the most famous scholar in the world on the subjects of debt and activism) as a colleague and friend while he worked on his ground-breaking research. My public high-school education quietly made this possible.

My daughter mentioned to me that you celebrated Kamala Davis Harris during the first class and made a point about the suffering of minorities. The next day she told me you wanted information about her family. She couldn’t understand what this has to do with history. Later, she told me you gave them a quiz on religion without preparation, and she had no idea of any of the answers.

I find this all very odd. For one, a cursory inquiry shows Ms. Harris has very interesting and complicating historical and familial relations to the colonies and slavery of Jamaica. As you might guess based on my own interests, I would ask: Who is she really after all? From where did she come? Who supports her behind the scenes? Secondly, my daughter is a private person. She does not share information willy-nilly. Moreover, unlike in 1979, when nearly every kid had gone to church at one time or another growing up, churches are closed by un-Constitutional emergency decrees (the Legislatures is supposed to meet in Emergency Session by law). Isn’t it curious that churches are closed but big-box stores remain open? In any case, I know these questions are much too hot for 14-year-olds (well, at least for their community). But they are the questions history can help us understand.

Unfortunately, since school districts across the country routinely sell student test-score data to non-academic, commercial interests, I must ask:

1. Did you receive a payment for gathering the “knowledge” of or the religious predilections of your students?

Likewise, I must ask:

2. To what end do you collect the personal data of your students?

I also request that you send a class syllabus to me for examination.

I will copy this missive to the Principal, as well. I think it is important that that parental academic concerns be heard openly. our high school is our community high school. We depend upon you and (as my Libertarian friends remind me) pay you to educate our children in the complexities of the world. If you do so, their growth and achievements may far surpass your expectations.

My reply to his reply:

Thank you for the letter. Please allow me to respond to your points as best I can.

Hello - I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and initiating a dialogue regarding your daughter’s educational experience. My early impression of your daughter after two weeks is that of a bright, thoughtful kid, who demonstrates strong skills in comprehension and written expression. I look forward to witnessing and supporting her continued success in this class in the weeks ahead.
I’m glad that you are a dedicated and experienced teacher. But, I do I wish to note that the “impression” my daughter gives is not my greatest concern. My concern is that she learns to consider the world with depth and complexity. Frankly, the emphasis on impression-management that pulses through academic life these days is a dismal reflection of, well, a media-saturated world. The fact the school now happens “on the screen” makes matters only worse.

First, my use of Kamala Harris’ acceptance speech on Nov. 9th was presented not as a political moment, but that of a historic moment. I pointed out that historic moments aren’t always received the same way by everyone — some may celebrate, while others may be disappointed or upset — but the event is one that represented a first, in the arenas of gender and race. Not every woman or person of color celebrated the event, as I similarly explained to my students in 2008 when Barack Obama was first elected. Since my 3rd year of teaching when we followed the unprecedented recount drama of the 2000 election I have always included such events in my teaching. My focus is the history, not the politics
Ms. Harris has been only inaugurated by the media. And as I implied, this is rather shallow and misleading. The “appearance” of Ms. Harris on the world stage may be more related to banking interests and her familial colonial relations than to her individual achievements. The drama of 2000 was much more than hanging chads, too. People in the know were well aware of the bankruptcy of the USA (from 1933) and the fact that there would be no President of the USA for a given period. None of this is presented in the media. Teaching kids to take opinions on media-induced issues can be interesting. But it is dangerous without thorough consideration.

With respect to the assignment (pasted below) that you mentioned, it’s one that I’ve used at the beginning of every school year going back 15+ years. I present it as a way to break the ice, and begin the all-important process of getting to know my students, and vice versa. Over the years it has been a very successful way for me to find ways to connect with kids, keep an eye out for possible concerns and areas I can support, and discover interests that I might share with my students. For 23+ years now teaching one of the constants has been the focus in those schools on building community and connections in our classrooms, and in a year of distance and isolation for so many people, it’s even more important now.
I can understand your argument. But do the students feel the same? Isn’t it enough to promote academic honesty through the reflections and insights students provide through their investigations into historical questions? Breaking the ice in this manner may only create more ice around young people as they become pigeon-holed into some kind of, literally, computer screen character. In my humble opinion, the real work of teaching involves engendering honesty of intellectual questioning and the development of confidence in the presentation, defense and discussion of their results.

You also spoke of a personal history assignment, one that I’ve also attached here. This is one that continues the theme of developing a positive, inclusive classroom culture, where everyone has a chance to contribute their unique history to our larger look at World History. A highlight is seeing and sensing the pride that students express as they tell their story. I also participate and share my own history slideshow with the class. In addition this begins the practice of creating and sharing presentations orally - a significant skill in this and other classes.
I love my daughter very much. She has a unique personality and interesting experiences. But she’d rather keep them to herself. Is this not a reasonable response to your assignment? If she wishes to decline, does this not enhance her so-called “safe-space?”

Lastly, I’ll address your concerns related to our teaching of world religions. This has been a part of the course curriculum for over 20 years, and is also taught by our colleagues at ....in their 9th grade World History classes. Our district-approved textbook for this class provides the foundational information for this and all of our units of study. If you’re interested in taking a look at the textbook then Abbey can show you since the students set up their online accounts last week. Speaking of curriculum, I’ve also attached the course syllabus for you to look over. This unit on world religions provides a key building block for topics covered in 10th grade World History, as the historical context of the events and eras of the past millennium is incomplete without the social, political, and cultural impact and influence of religion.
Please note. I have no problem with my daughter learning the text-book approach to world religions— although the text-book approach is entirely areligious. My main question remains, however: Do you or does the School District receive payment for providing information about children’s religious acumen and experiences to interests outside the school? As I noted, school districts routinely sell student test-score data to vendors. The aim of this data collection is precisely to pigeon-hole students for purposes beyond those that accord with the will and interests of the students. Insofar as schools, following Jefferson, are supposed to centers of community life, I find this scandalous. I think you can understand my suspicions.

Last edited:

JWW427

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Very interesting and telling OP. I like the idea.

Unfortunately, we covered this in another post on education and I said that our learning institutions are wholly corrupt underlings of the info-gathering Deep State in the USA. (Pearson Inc.) Schools are 100% bad all the way on up to Harvard and Yale. Unless you join Skull & Bones, that is...

I was on the alumni board of my private boarding school for ten years. I learned a lot, whoo-boy. Nasty parents, an ineffectual board, and timid teachers for the most part. Big money and relentlessly boring cocktail parties. Fundraising was GOD. Pedophilia and petty crimes covered up. Money for good grades. Falsified college applications and recommendations.

Kids have zero rights and are taught WHAT to think, not HOW to think. Hive mind thinking. Darwin's evolution. Mainstream History is carved in granite. Homosexuals should not teach kids. Men are better than women. White men rule all. We only have 2 strands of DNA and the rest is "junk." Eastern wisdom and medicine are presented as second rate woo-woo science. Etc. etc.
The curriculum is BS everywhere.

I doubt anyone will get much of a clear answer from teachers or headmasters via letters, they are victims of the system themselves and are beholden to their salaries and the school boards that govern them, public or private. It's blackmail, subtle-style. Our Mafia-like educational system is self-healing, like a rubberized fuel tank on a fighter plane. Fire all the complaint bullets you want, the system will heal around the holes in time. Soon, everything is forgotten: "A letter? What letter? Sorry sir, there was a fire in the Alexandria Library mail room."

At colleges tenures are king, rocking the boat is forbidden. Teachers and professors talk a big game and say they are "open-minded," but that's just on academic fluffy pink bunny subjects like safe, scare-free Civil Rights, the Titanic, Thomas Jefferson's black girlfriend, gardening philosophy in Ancient Greece, Jesus' missing sailboat, and the long-ago shameful Viet Nam War...
...not current radioactive "fringe" topics like inconvenient old Tartaria and Antarctica maps, scalar free energy, reincarnation, inexplicable grids and lines in Siberia, torsion field plasma physics, Atlantis and the Bimini Road, Bulgarian Christian history, Russian pyramid therapy, sound resonance affecting our DNA, and the infamous Annunaki Kings List.
In other words, they wouldn't be caught dead on SH.

I intimately know more than a few "brilliant" Yale, Princeton, Oxford, and Harvard academics––they're highly awarded idiots, they couldn't rationalize or theorize their way out of a wet toilet paper bag on any subject here on the forum. Not one. Nor would they scrub up the intellectual courage to crack open their rusty minds just enough to even consider any of our rakish scoundrel topics at all. It would destroy their pitiful paradigms, all their hard work, their bought-and-paid-for souls, shatter to splinters their hardwood floors of false reality.

At a public school in the USA, you might find a few humble brave souls to comment on the unfair system, its inaccuracies, falsifications, and illegal and immoral data-collection, but the ones I know (a family member too) are scared shitless of being fired or labeled a heretic. They speak in hushed tones, their cigarette hands shaking as tears well up.

Programming kids with BS is the bedrock of our entire false reality and history, and the status quo want to keep it that way.
Sorry if I sugar-coated it a bit.

Last edited:

davtash

Trusted Member
Reaction score
An excellent thread well done. A couple of years ago I wrote to 'History Workshop' journal in the UK in theory a radical history journal based around the works of EP Thompson and Gareth Stedman Jones and others. I asked if they were interested in an appraisal of current thinking in alternative history they replied briefly in the negative. As a long time history teacher I can say that if the alternative ideas had been suggested to me around 5 years ago (now 66 years old), I would have laughed but then something happened, an epiphany if you like and I awoke into a different world re everything. Now I still teach english which involves a lot of history, geography and science in a faraway school but many of my students are hooked onto Tartaria etc as I introduce it whenever I can, and when they see news items or travel to places they often share what they saw, I even got a book about the Catecombs from Paris and a photo of Diana in the grounds of Fontainbleu. We are a million miles away from seeing anything like a reappraisal in schools and 99.999999% of people are not in the slightest bit interested, as was written above they are victims of the system, Marx's own ISA. I tell myself that when I die at least some will have been woken up.

irishbalt

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Very interesting and telling. I like the idea.

Unfortunately, we covered this in another post on education and I said that our learning institutions are wholly corrupt underlings of the info-gathering Deep State in the USA. (Pearson Inc.) Schools are 100% bad all the way on up to Harvard and Yale. Unless you join Skull & Bones, that is...

I was on the alumni board of my private boarding school for ten years. I learned a lot, whoo-boy. Nasty parents, an ineffectual board, and timid teachers for the most part. Big money and relentlessly boring cocktail parties. Fundraising was GOD. Pedophilia and petty crimes covered up. Money for good grades. Falsified college applications and recommendations.

Kids have zero rights and are taught WHAT to think, not HOW to think. Hive mind thinking. Darwin's evolution. Mainstream History is carved in granite. Homosexuals should not teach kids. Men are better than women. White men rule all. We only have 2 strands of DNA and the rest is "junk." Eastern wisdom and medicine are presented as second rate woo-woo science. Etc. etc.
The curriculum is BS everywhere.

I doubt anyone will get much of a clear answer from teachers or headmasters via letters, they are victims of the system themselves and are beholden to their salaries and the school boards that govern them, public or private. It's blackmail, subtle-style. Our Mafia-like educational system is self-healing, like a rubberized fuel tank on a fighter plane. Fire all the complaint bullets you want, the system will heal around the holes in time. Soon, everything is forgotten. A letter? What letter?

At colleges tenures are king, rocking the boat is forbidden. Teachers and professors talk a big game and say they are "open-minded," but that's just on academic fluffy pink bunny subjects like safe, scare-free Civil Rights, the Titanic, Thomas Jefferson's black girlfriend, gardening philosophy in Ancient Greece, Jesus' missing sailboat, and the long-ago shameful Viet Nam War...
...not current radioactive "fringe" topics like inconvenient old Tartaria and Antarctica maps, scalar free energy, reincarnation, inexplicable grids and lines in Siberia, torsion field plasma physics, Atlantis and the Bimini Road, Bulgarian Christian history, Russian pyramid therapy, sound resonance affecting our DNA, and the infamous Annunaki Kings List.
In other words, they wouldn't be caught dead on SH.

I intimately know more than a few "brilliant" Yale, Princeton, Oxford, and Harvard academics––they're highly awarded idiots, they couldn't rationalize or theorize their way out of a wet toilet paper bag on any subject here on the forum. Not one. Nor would they scrub up the intellectual courage to crack open their rusty minds just enough to even consider any of our rakish scoundrel topics at all. It would destroy their pitiful paradigms, all their hard work, their bought-and-paid-for souls, shatter to splinters their hardwood floors of false reality.

At a public school in the USA, you might find a few humble brave souls to comment on the unfair system, its inaccuracies, falsifications, and illegal and immoral data-collection, but the ones I know (a family member too) are scared shitless of being fired or labeled a heretic. They speak in hushed tones, their cigarette hands shaking as tears well up.

Programming kids with BS is the bedrock of our entire false reality and history, and the status quo want to keep it that way.
Sorry if I sugar-coated it a bit.
well there are many families traditionally schooling. I can say for our family, any selected scholarly research here on SH shall be included in lesson plans.

we aim to raise upstarts

SonofaBor

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I intimately know more than a few "brilliant" Yale, Princeton, Oxford, and Harvard academics––they're highly awarded idiots, they couldn't rationalize or theorize their way out of a wet toilet paper bag on any subject here on the forum.
Yes. I don my "dress blues" in these letters. Parents in these parts are desperate to get their kids where I have been. It gives me a certain authority or leverage.

I used an article by Felix to help my daughter better understand Christianity and the multiple discourses of religious experience versus what we might rightly conceive as mystical/spiritual life.

I might need to find a alternative network. Maybe I am the key node, but surely there are others. In any case, it is quite a headache to know that the fake world has total reach. I simply cannot afford to be cynical anymore.

Last edited:

JWW427

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Keep trying, thats the point.
Sometimes lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for.
I think we can all relate to that concept.

gkelly

Reaction score
I highly doubt this particular teacher had much say in the curriculum that the school teaches, the textbooks, or even what he or she really can teach in the class. They certainly do not get paid to collect data. Most teachers that I have met follow the agenda that they are given without really thinking about what they are doing. You need to remember, it's simply a job to many of them.

SonofaBor

Trusted Member
Reaction score
And so... if it is a job, should I pay them with my tax dollars?

And so... should I not expect them to know history?

And so.... should I not be suspicious about their motives?

And so.... should I forgive the teacher for being a soulless drone-- as you suggest?

gkelly

Reaction score
How else do you propose to pay public workers?
Most history teachers know about history, whether it is the version that you believe is up for debate.
I highly doubt a bunch of teachers have motives to deceive (as many people on here probably claim) the youth of the country.
Why is a person a soulless drone simply because they don't possess an all enveloping passion about what they do to get paid?

SonofaBor

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I propose to fire them.

I am trying to help him by teaching him. But is he a good student of history? Or just a guy with a job-- as you say?

They have no desire to deceive, but they are deceived themselves. Do they deserve to have a have a job? Or should we call them what they are? Professional deceivers?

As for your last comment, it says a lot about you.

gkelly

Reaction score
I suggest you either home school your child or try to find a different school.
And if you honestly believe everyone on the planet is passionate about their job, then you certainly aren't living in reality.
Some people have to take whatever work they can find to earn a living.
And as for your last comment, it also says a lot about you too.

SonofaBor

Trusted Member
Reaction score
It does. History and science are about truth. Truth is the heart of life. Life is short. I love life. I want to know. I want to share. I want to be with like-minded people. I discovered that even at the tippy-top of my profession that what was valued about me was my achievements, but the passion, they could do without. They really didn't understand that one cannot be had without the other. They (the administrations) wanted fame, smooth sailing and money. In other words, they were corrupt, and they couldn't understand why I couldn't/wouldn't join them in their soulless charade.

Right now, the fight is against corruption. For it is the corruption of science and history and, yes, the souls of people that make possible the NWO covid-19 fantasy-fake that is destroying everything that remains of value-- namely the values of passion, faith, hard work, creativity, and beauty. These are the values at the heart of community-life. Public schools are supposed to be community centers. I'm fighting for that center. But, as you show, the corrupt and the soulless run the show.

E.Bearclaw

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt a bunch of teachers have motives to deceive (as many people on here probably claim) the youth of the country.
It isn't necessarily all about there being a motive to deceive though is it. As Noam Chomsky eloquently puts it:

"If you believed something different, you wouldn't be sitting where you are sitting"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcpcytUnWU