Muse - Simulation Theory film broadcast on BBC in UK - interesting timing

Gypsum Fantastic

Reaction score
In the UK late Friday night the BBC broadcast a one-off Muse gig that had been filmed over 2 days on 14th and 15th September 2019 at the O2 in London. I can't post a link to it as this is my first post on the .net SH forum. But it's called Muse - Simulation Theory.

I like the early albums of Muse but had lost touch with them so I wasn't aware of this latest work.

It seems the film has been produced for Muse themselves to compliment their album of the same name. It was a live gig full of high tech visual effects but included an underlying 'movie' between songs. Now from here this is largely my own interpretation of this 'movie' after watching the show only once, so others might see it differently or if I watch it again I may also see it differently.

Anyway...there was some sort of 'space force' investigating a paranormal anomaly that could perhaps be described as 'leakage' from another dimension or parallel universe. Heavy AI theme and the implication revealed later in the 'story' is that our world is just one of many simulated realms controlled by a 'mainframe'.

However...and this is the angle that interested me most considering the timing...there was also a virus outbreak in London. The 'mainframe' said it had detected a problem in our world and its solution seemed to be to reset our world (or reformat the hard drive if you will). The 'space force' seemed to be 'good guys' trying to prevent this happening but without particularly understanding what it is.

I won't ramble too much further however there were also a couple of very interesting lines from 'news reports', I may not have got them 100% right but something like "the virus is fake, there is no need to be afraid" and "the lockdown has ended and people are starting to leave their homes again". They also mentioned warnings about misinformation/fake news. Then at the end was some American dude having a rant (much like in the style of film They Live) about governments/'controllers' who have been manipulating us and turning us into nothing more than consumers. He then suggests that maybe AI has since taken over the role of our 'controller' without us even noticing.

As an aside, also found it quite surprising that the BBC broadcast this, given that they have very much been on the side of the globalist narrative and government propaganda around CV19/lockdowns/vaccine. As the general feel of the whole thing was that it was a warning to humanity. But of course maybe Muse have simply signed up to be controlled opposition :eek:.

pushamaku

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.. they want to shift the blame from themselves (real people - twisted evil twats but still people) to some super duper quantum computer AI?

Hogwash... I am 100% against "simulation theory", it is a continuation of the big bang evolution infinite space with aliens etc to make us feel insignificant and meaningless where in fact the opposite is true. They need You to create their version of reality. The sooner people wake up and take responsibility for themselves the sooner we can move in the right direction.

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
What he says.
it is a continuation of the big bang evolution infinite space with aliens etc to make us feel insignificant and meaningless where in fact the opposite is true. They need You to create their version of reality.

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I used to be a big muse fan....

Matt Bellamy used to wear t-shirts to his shows that said 'google endgame Alex jones' etc.this was before AJ sold out.

But when muse got super famous, as is usual with these people - he started giving interviews saying he believed the official story of 911 and conspiracy theories are mental illness etc...

So, interesting - but he's blown it for me...

Lightseeker

Trusted Member
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.. they want to shift the blame from themselves (real people - twisted evil twats but still people) to some super duper quantum computer AI?

Hogwash... I am 100% against "simulation theory", it is a continuation of the big bang evolution infinite space with aliens etc to make us feel insignificant and meaningless where in fact the opposite is true. They need You to create their version of reality. The sooner people wake up and take responsibility for themselves the sooner we can move in the right direction.
It is no wonder that so many people are depressed nowadays. From childhood we are all told that a bunch of coincidences and/or accidents turned us into the descendants of apes, living on a sphere in a vast universe where there is no God.

Magnumopus

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I suppose the question would be whether Bellamy was originally expressing – or was permitted to express, for whatever reason – his genuine views, before being slapped into shape, dutifully performing at the 2012 Olympics and getting with the programme. Or if, coming from a family with history in the music industry, he was always positioned as a limited hangout, one who would flip stated beliefs while continuing to offer broadly consistent paranoias, in the hope many of the faithful would follow suit and stick with him in his contained bubble.

Simulation Theory wasn’t the first time Muse dabbled in viruses and pandemics. They contributed The 2nd Law: Isolated System to World War Z, in which there’s a search for a humanity-saving vaccine to a zombie virus (in the process giving the WHO a wedge of positive publicity). They also wrote The 2nd Law: Unsustainable, ostensibly about an economy based on endless growth, but making a good fit with ideas of population control and the current system’s necessary implosion.

Regardless of the merit of simulation theory, one might lean in to double meanings from the album in several respects. One of the tracks is called Thought Contagion, the title taken from Richard Dawkins comparing the spread of thoughts to a viral disease (anyone inclined to take their cues from Dawkins certainly sounds like they’re now “reading from credible sources”). Which is interesting, as the flip of that is a viral disease only existing through the spread of thought, or media promotion (the idea that this contagion is there “regardless of… accuracy or truth”).

The virus isn’t a hoax the context of the stage show narrative, but the NPC whose aim is to reboot, or reset, the Earth simulation claims it is (so premeditating and rebuking COVID deniers – “there is no virus and there is nothing to fear”). Also formed is the ‘Truth Slayer’, a scientist turned into a monstrous mutant. Meaning this virus is intrinsically linked to a being named for destroying truth… Basically, a thought contagion; like the “fake news” meme, it can be played both ways.

In the video for Pressure, we see the zombie virus spread from the computer, zapping a guinea pig that transforms into something out of Critters. So again, the “reality” of this virus is bound up in the transmission of non-material information, the digital/virtual world. Which could mean that, rather than taking the album purely on the face value of a computer simulation of reality – the videos are drenched in 80s/90s sci-fi references and VR visuals – we should be looking to any applicable simulation or model, such as the conveniently timed Event 201.

Safranek

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
I was a fan of Muse also. One thing is certain. NO band can stay in the 'fold' if they don't play the 'game'.

Whether they were playing for real from the start or became 'players' later on is not the point. Unfortunately, its evident that they are playing along now.

matematik

Trusted Member
Reaction score
The 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony seemed to mark a new phase in the agenda, like the NHS tribute that people thought was just bizarre at the time and that weird giant Boris Johnson figure, but of course now it all makes sense and also other strange stuff like how the official logo clearly spelt out "ZION".

pushamaku

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the merit of simulation theory, one might lean in to double meanings from the album in several respects. One of the tracks is called Thought Contagion, the title taken from Richard Dawkins comparing the spread of thoughts to a viral disease (anyone inclined to take their cues from Dawkins certainly sounds like they’re now “reading from credible sources”). Which is interesting, as the flip of that is a viral disease only existing through the spread of thought, or media promotion (the idea that this contagion is there “regardless of… accuracy or truth”).
Excellent observation.. and in that regard, 'simulation theory' is being proven true with so much success achieved in simulating reality for the masses, turning them into robot-like NPCs with no ability for any independent thought - regardless of what's playing on 'the screen'.

This post on 'trance-like behaviour' I just read on r/C_S_T is fitting.

To put it lightly, the past year has been an absolute shitshow. We’ve seen a lot of very strange occurrences and I feel as if I have seen a lot of things that have induced various paradigm shifts in my perception.
One of the biggest things that comes to minds is the tendency of the weak and fearful towards authoritarianism. It seems that when people of lesser strength and character are faced with a true dilemma or threat, they will run to authority and beg for salvation.
They will ignore all bad behaviour on the part of their saviours and will not accept any evidence of them having done harm.
They will do whatever authority tells them to without any real thought or consideration and will engage in endless mental gymnastics and rationalization to keep their faith in authority strong.
It is almost impossible to reason with these people, even to get them to consider they are being misled.
They are so set in their beliefs and the word of their saviour that it is cultish, no outside information or logic can break their trust in authority and open their mind to the possibility they are being deceived or misled.
Once inside this cult, it is almost impossible to escape due to the social reinforcement from those around you and the endless stream of propaganda you will inevitably consume if you have faith in the media and government.
You will view anybody trying to open your mind on an issue or showing you a different perspective the same way a religious man centuries ago looked at a heretic or a blasphemer.
There is no rationalization too great and no piece of evidence shocking enough to rouse these people from the trance-like state they have ended up in.
The only way out is to choose to open up your mind to alternate possibilities and think critically and that is strongly incentivized against as well as outright shamed in this totalitarian cult of statism, causing few to make the leap or even take the first steps required to see past all of the propaganda and manipulation.
As critical thinkers and open minded folk, we have to resist this pathological groupthink as strongly as humanly possible.
This kind of behaviour is posing an enormous threat to our society at large and this sort of complacency and complicity in the face of malevolence will be our undoing if we continue to engage in it.
It is the duty of those of us that can see through it all to show others the ways in which they are being deceived and to do everything we possibly can to avoid allowing this dystopia we are being dragged towards to be established.
Fight for what is correct and do not let up. All is not lost.

Gypsum Fantastic

Reaction score
I have added the video below for you. Very interesting!

Much appreciated (y)
I suppose the question would be whether Bellamy was originally expressing – or was permitted to express, for whatever reason – his genuine views, before being slapped into shape, dutifully performing at the 2012 Olympics and getting with the programme. Or if, coming from a family with history in the music industry, he was always positioned as a limited hangout, one who would flip stated beliefs while continuing to offer broadly consistent paranoias, in the hope many of the faithful would follow suit and stick with him in his contained bubble.

Simulation Theory wasn’t the first time Muse dabbled in viruses and pandemics. They contributed The 2nd Law: Isolated System to World War Z, in which there’s a search for a humanity-saving vaccine to a zombie virus (in the process giving the WHO a wedge of positive publicity). They also wrote The 2nd Law: Unsustainable, ostensibly about an economy based on endless growth, but making a good fit with ideas of population control and the current system’s necessary implosion.

The virus isn’t a hoax the context of the stage show narrative, but the NPC whose aim is to reboot, or reset, the Earth simulation claims it is (so premeditating and rebuking COVID deniers – “there is no virus and there is nothing to fear”). Also formed is the ‘Truth Slayer’, a scientist turned into a monstrous mutant. Meaning this virus is intrinsically linked to a being named for destroying truth… Basically, a thought contagion; like the “fake news” meme, it can be played both ways.

In the video for Pressure, we see the zombie virus spread from the computer, zapping a guinea pig that transforms into something out of Critters. So again, the “reality” of this virus is bound up in the transmission of non-material information, the digital/virtual world. Which could mean that, rather than taking the album purely on the face value of a computer simulation of reality – the videos are drenched in 80s/90s sci-fi references and VR visuals – we should be looking to any applicable simulation or model, such as the conveniently timed Event 201.

Oh dear, that Metro article and the video of Pressure do suggest 'slapped into shape', as you succinctly put it. Predictable I suppose like many bands before them, hey-ho :rolleyes:.

I checked my back catalogue and The Resistance was the last of their albums I bought. I remember thinking it was a bit hit and miss compared to previous albums and assumed that was them heading for sell-out mode so hadn't bothered checking out any of their releases since then. Looks like I was right then.

I myself have been on the Dawkins 'journey' having been brought up Christian but never believing it, and although I would still consider myself to be atheist I am far too open minded to have remained stuck in the dogmatic world of Dawkins and his acolytes. Ironically I now just consider them similar to the major organised religions, even if they don't realise it themselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread