SH.org OP Date
2019-10-21 20:29:51
SH.org Reaction Score
SH.org Reply Count

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Yep, thats right, hidden for 450 years and poof, its back, right on time....

plautilla_nelli_07.jpg
Prior to 'restoration'

TELEMMGLPICT000183607299_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg
Post restoration. No way is that 6.5ft high....​

'Around 1568, Florentine nun Plautilla Nelli—a self-taught painter who ran an all-woman artists’ workshop out of her convent (As you do)—embarked on her most ambitious project yet: a monumental Last Supper scene featuring life-size depictions of Jesus and the 12 Apostles'

Life size! Not bad for someone not suposed to be doing anything deamed manly, like painting... I wonder where she hid it?

'As Alexandra Korey writes for the Florentine, Nelli’s roughly 21- by 6-and-a-half foot canvas is remarkable for its challenging composition, adept treatment of anatomy at a time when women were banned from studying the scientific field, and chosen subject. During the Renaissance, the majority of individuals who painted the biblical scene were male artists at the pinnacle of their careers. Per the nonprofit Advancing Women Artists organization, which restores and exhibits works by Florence’s female artists, Nelli’s masterpiece placed her among the ranks of such painters as Leonardo da Vinci, Domenico Ghirlandaio and Pietro Perugino, all of whom created versions of the Last Supper “to prove their prowess as art professionals.”

Another psuedo character?

So this thing goes through hell and storage and right now it pops back into existance.

The Renaissance, eh! Where would we be without it?

Headline maintenance right here!
Note: This OP was recovered from the Wayback Archive.
Note: Archived Sh.org replies to this OP are included in this thread.

KD Archive

Not actually KorbenDallas
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Note: This post was recovered from the Sh.org archive.
Username: KorbenDallas
Date: 2019-10-21 20:38:39
That was one talented Plautilla Nelli Nun who did this.
Would love to see the PTB original textual source for this info.

Plissken

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: Plissken
Date: 2019-10-21 20:42:44
I don't think women painted it. They would have never painted the fold marks in a table cloth. Someone might think they are lazy and don't own an iron. Think of your mom on picture day. Bwahahaha!

Plissken ?

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Username: BrokenAgate
Date: 2019-10-21 20:55:28
My question is: How do they KNOW all this?? A painting pops up that is supposedly over 400 years old, and right away, they know everything about who made it, and when, and why. We never heard anything about it before now...or at least, I never did. I don't recall reading anything like, "Famous nun's painting missing for 450 years, location unknown."

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Date: 2019-10-22 04:53:29
I can't believe that any painting that was treated so badly would survive 450 years of, as Timeshifter put it, "hell and storage." The paint is peeling in places, but otherwise looks pretty good. No way is it that old.

codis

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: codis
Date: 2019-10-22 05:13:23
Simple - just gotta believe. Like everybody else...
This, OTOH, would point to starved nuns ...

KD Archive

Not actually KorbenDallas
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: KorbenDallas
Date: 2019-10-22 05:16:13
Unless Mr. “full of baloney” Pope gave an order to, now and then, pull something out of their sophisticated renaissance time frame storage. Crowds have to be fed with proper narrative maintenance items.

Jim Duyer

Deleted
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Site:
www.paleoaliens.com
Username: Jim Duyer
Date: 2019-10-27 01:03:50
Yep, going for the old jewels. Probably wishful thinking on the Nun's part.

Holy Shit - is that a pig in front of Jesus?

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Username: dianag
Date: 2019-10-27 12:52:52
They probably bought a paper tablecloth at the Dollar store to use as a prop.

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Date: 2019-10-27 15:22:00
Pretty sure I've seen those plastic wine goblets at the Dollar Tree, as well.

Jim Duyer

Deleted
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Site:
www.paleoaliens.com
Date: 2019-10-29 13:40:48
You know, I previously answered with a wise ass reply, but the truth is that this is very, very interesting. It's a pig for sure - notice the round snout and the tail. But supposedly the Nuns would have read the Old Testament at least once, and the laws of Moses (Actually Aaron and the Levites) are very clear on the prohibition against pork. And to place this in front of the Rabbi Jewish gift to mankind, Jesus Christ, is anathema, heretical, and perhaps also some sort of message that they were sending to us. Were they secretly a clan of Gnostics? Actually I believe Cathars would fit that timeline in history. Puzzling.

codis

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: codis
Date: 2019-10-29 13:46:31
Or the image originates from the jesuit marranos, and actually mocks Christians and the bible.

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Username: EmmanuelZorg
Date: 2019-10-29 13:59:36
When I looked at the images in the linked source, I do not see a pig. It looks like a lamb (or perhaps a monkey). Definitely a lamb style tail from what I see at the linked source.

feralimal

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: Feralimal
Date: 2019-10-29 14:51:15
I humbly disagree as I think it could be. We can see 3-4 foot, and in the full pic there are bits that extend beneath the table cloth...

Yes - this is sooo baity for those left leaning nyt/guardian readers. They love this stuff.

@Timeshifter I love your news article posts btw. I think you post them as light entertainment - and I for one appreciate them. I certainly don't have the heart to trawl through all those msm sources nowadays. But does anyone here not just auto-hoax all this sort of rubbish? Saves so much time, I find..

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: Timeshifter
Date: 2019-10-29 16:05:12
100% yes auto hoax, it is however good fodder for lightening the heavy research topics :) These things pop up on various themed things that I follow on flipboard, and it keeps me a little more sane or insane whichever it is sharing them, and hopefully gives the forum a little chuckle along the way :)

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Username: Starmonkey
Date: 2019-10-29 16:47:30
I wonder if the loaves have musical note correspondence like the OTHER painting of that theme?...

feralimal

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: Feralimal
Date: 2019-10-29 17:05:10
Well, thanks again for your service :)

Jim Duyer

Deleted
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Site:
www.paleoaliens.com
Date: 2019-10-29 18:23:11
My crap detector is going off very loudly on this one. First of all, we only have the word of the Smithsonian that she signed her paintings this way - in reality I have looked at more than a dozen of her paintings and none of them are signed, and certainly none in this fashion. Second - I still think it's a pig, and I have an image below that shows in the upper left, the plated serving, to the right a roasted pig, and below a sheep's head. Lamb was popular, but in roasts, shanks, legs, etc, and not usually with the head on. Also the translation is funny. The first line might
say "S for sister Plautti", but it could be something amended later on, because the rest of it says " La = northern Italian Ladin language for 'the", Ora = border, limit, region, frontier, limit", Te= you, Pro = on behalf of, for, like as, and Pictora is definitely not the normal word for Paintress. But we have:
Sister Plautti; the frontier you like is painted. We sometimes shorten first names as a sort of nickname, but why shorten Plautilla to Plautti? Would we see something by DaVinci as DaVin? Yo DaVin - over here. WTF?

Users who are viewing this thread