Opera – 2021 Oscar-nominated Animated Short Film

Prolix

Trusted Member
Reaction score

This intriguing animated short has been selected as one of the five contenders for this year's Best Animated Short Film Oscar. The odds-on favourite concerns parents grieving for a child lost in a high-school shooting, so I doubt Opera will be making many waves. Its director is also offering all the standard socio-political soundbites in interviews. Nevertheless, while the theme of Opera – cyclical history – isn't necessarily hugely profound or insightful, the loop construction and design of the film, with its pyramidal "one-take" tiering from dregs to elite is undoubtedly striking and quite resonant.

Catalyst

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Wow, looks really cool and insightful. I see a lot of hints and easter eggs.

Oracle

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Mind blown! You could take a whole day watching this over and over and still miss some of the details.
Thanks for sharing, I'm a big fan of short films and that's definitely the best I've seen.Interesting it's the "outside influence" That gets it all going again, nice reset!
Hey @Catalyst, I think we've found where your lost key is at. ?

Catalyst

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Mind blown! You could take a whole day watching this over and over and still miss some of the details.
Thanks for sharing, I'm a big fan of short films and that's definitely the best I've seen.Interesting it's the "outside influence" That gets it all going again, nice reset!
Hey @Catalyst, I think we've found where your lost key is at. ?

?, I thought about this too. Notice how all of them desperately fight each other, but fail to see the key, hanging right above them. Ironic.

Onijunbei

Trusted Member
Reaction score
most of the "shootings" are just hollywood productions anyways. This is just another hollywood production to enforce their other hollywood productions.

Prolix

Trusted Member
Reaction score
most of the "shootings" are just hollywood productions anyways. This is just another hollywood production to enforce their other hollywood productions.

This film isn't about shootings. That's another one shortlisted.

Prolix

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't find another link either. I suspect it's been done because the short films are supposed be exclusive to ShortsTV at the moment. Hopefully it will resurface once the Oscars are done.

Tips
Tips
Please respect our Posting Rules.

Users who are viewing this thread