SH Archive Personal Airships, The History of Balloons, and the First US Air Mail Delivery

SH.org OP Username
HiStoryBoost
SH.org OP Date
2019-10-17 21:06:21
SH.org Reaction Score
SH.org Reply Count

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
I like to start my research close to home, as it seems there are a vast number of resources available for the history of Pennsylvania. I’ve seen, or read, about a few of the following, but only today did I put a few things together.

Did we have blimps / personal airships / balloons in the mid 1800’s that we could control completely, to the point we used them for travel and delivering mail? Let’s explore.

John Wise was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1808. He developed his own personal “balloon” in 1835 for leisurely flight and exploration. That same year (1835) he flew his homemade balloon in Philadelphia. He continued to make flight after flight in his balloon.

8C6D7718-06CB-49BC-9106-B5BA109EF824.jpeg

In 1836 he traveled 75 miles by balloon from Lancaster to Maryland.

In 1837, he used a parachute for the first time when his balloon went down over the Delaware river. Seriously, Wiki says he was a “pioneer” of the use of parachutes.

“He made a voyage from Philadelphia on September 18, 1837, alighting in the Delaware River, where he was rescued. On this trip he set loose two parachutes for the purpose of demonstrating the superiority of the inverted parachute”

It gets better. In 1938 his balloon popped at 13,000 feet, but his balloon was designed to turn into a parachute when it fell to the ground. He survived with ease.

John Wise also made the first US Air Mail Delivery, carrying 123 postages 25 miles by air.

“On August 17, 1859, he made the first flight of local airmail in the U.S. from Lafayette, Indiana to Crawfordsville, Indiana, in a balloon named Jupiter.” The trip was roughly 25 miles.

John Wise was considered dead in 1879 when his balloon dissappeared after leaving St. Louis. He had one passenger, who was found.

Interestingly, John Wise also had a hand in photography, and had a collection of photographs which were donated to the Lancaster Historical Society. I stumbled across those recently and found a few keepers.

First, here is an ad for John Wise’s balloon business in Philadelphia. Pretty cool you can buy your own personal balloon in the mid 1800’s, meant to fly by yourself... (Note the “Oldest Aeronaut in the world”. Also note how the ad states a balloon can cure what ails you!)

661C08CF-5721-40FD-A6E6-B50416948C79.jpeg

Now to the two photographs from his collection that most astonished me. Simply put, they appear to be of a man, riding a personal blimp, with no cares in the world, in the 1800’s.

97C4E7D9-8535-4285-8FCE-39F3CDD09F33.jpegDFBEFE58-1802-46F8-AA9B-07979CBCCF41.jpeg

and

9A1AA706-526E-442C-9370-6E12114ED4AF.jpeg
1AFEFBE8-E3CF-4FF4-A28E-41058C1F3211.jpeg

So many questions of how this worked. Did these airships have directional controls? Is there any other evidence of personal blimps with photographs? Is this achievable for the late 1800’s?

Oddly, these two ships resemble modern day thermal airships...

“A thermal airship is an airship that generates buoyancy by heating air in a large chamber... This is very similar to a hot air balloon, with the notable exception that an airship has a powered means of propulsion, whilst a hot air balloon relies on winds for navigation... The first public flight of a hot air airship was made by Don Cameron (UK) in a Cameron D-96 at the Icicle Meet in January 1973.”

Was it 1973 or the late 1800’s?

So what do you think we have here? From such humble beginnings I was intrigued to try to learn more about John Wise, however the information was mostly scarce. I understand we had hot air balloons in the 1700’s, but to what extent do you think this technology was used?

(Finally, a gathering in Wise’s hometown of Lancaster for one of his later launches in 1868; shown below.)

54992DE3-EA80-4A9B-8EF6-236F2DD55D4F.jpeg
72FA3594-57A9-4F5F-B2FC-33C35E4C40C1.jpeg
Note: This OP was recovered from BING cache.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Vitamin Supplements and covid hysteria / my personal experience Nutrition and Health 26
Sylvanus777 SH Archive Photos of Molten & Vitrified Bricks and Soil From My Personal Collection Fires and Earthquakes 0
KD Archive SH Archive 19th century sci-fi airships: could they fly? General 0
KD Archive SH Archive Toltec Atlanteans, Fifth Race, Fifth Branch, Airships and Hertzian Rays General 0
Silveryou Hidden History: Russian past in the Middle East. Famous Personalities 9
Will Scarlet The Decolonisation of History General 8
dreamtime Stolen History - Lifting the Veil of Deception (Part 1) Announcements 31
pushamaku Our Subverted History by Asha Logos (video series) Folklore, Psychology, Art and Myths 4
A History of Britain - a new version Folklore, Psychology, Art and Myths 13
B Alexander Koltypin research on ancient human history General 11
MgvdT Cracks in history: Leaning Tower of Nevyansk General 3
B Alternative history of agriculture (a must see documentary) Folklore, Psychology, Art and Myths 4
SonofaBor The Battle of the Gods: Stolen History in Reports from inside the American Revolt General 183
torgo A Celtic/Basque Civilization Erased from History? General 28
liqouriceandhorses The Church stole much of our History. General 12
ParadigmThreat "I never cared much for studying Human History until I realized it was all lies" Alternative History Community 16
Z A brief history of Variolation and Vaccination methods of inoculation Historic Epidemics 5
sandokhan New radical chronology of history General 63
6079SmithW History of the Bicycle Investigation Requests 39
SonofaBor Letters to History Teachers: An Open Invitation General 12
Coulness Scottish history, part of the persecution General 48
JWW427 Hidden History of the Vatican General 7
H Hello! I want to give you the real topics about the Bible and Bulgarian history Famous Personalities 1
Tetrahedra The Making-of our HIStory General 66
A The Bible - History of the Balkans (end of imperors) (part 8) Fires and Earthquakes 1
JWW427 History of the Swastika Symbology 13
JWW427 Is mainstream academia finally coming to terms with forbidden history? General 23
Archive SH Archive Doppelgangers throughout History Unmatched 3
Archive SH Archive The history of monsters. Ulisse Aldrovandi Bologna, 1642 Unmatched 0
Archive SH Archive The dark history of the mask General 0
Archive SH Archive St. Catherine's Hill, Winchester - has a strange history ? Buildings and Structures 0
Archive SH Archive Magnetism through History General 0
H Some Criticisms and Questions I Have Regarding Alternative History Theories/Theorists Ask an Expert 103
Catalyst History of alternative energy: Fireplace (by tech_dancer) (tart-aria.info mirror) General 21
feralimal Stolen History research, KorbenDallas (KD) focus. General 204
JWW427 History of Time General 4
F Pliny's Natural History General 10
Archive SH Archive Do we really learn from the history? (And plans of TPTB) General 3
Archive SH Archive Local History Investigation Requests 1
Archive SH Archive Coping with the Truth Of Antiquity / Stolen History / Lost History / Lost World General 0
Archive SH Archive High Strangeness of Fossil Fuel Formation & Consumption: Part One: Does history even exist??? General 3
Timeshifter SH Archive Archaeology shock: Ancient settlement discovery in Florida changes course of US history General 0
JWW427 SH Archive Unprecedented World Heatwave Reveals Ancient History in Britain General 0
Curious SH Archive Swedish schools to erase ancient history from history class General 0
JWW427 SH Archive Reset Civilization Mudflood Mystery History Buildings and Structures 0
Timeshifter SH Archive Smithsonian Magazine Secrets of American History General 0
Timeshifter SH Archive Greater Adria - history of lost continent buried beneath Europe General 0
feralimal SH Archive Meta history - Who provides the data? General 0
KD Archive SH Archive 19th century: Underground City in Turkmenistan and the fake Caspian Sea History Unmatched 0
Archive SH Archive Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, Illinois 1921 Buildings and Structures 0