• On Monday (April, 26) the site will be down for maintanance for around 12 hours, starting at 11:00 pm UTC as we complete the sh.org archive with the missing threads. 1300 new or upgraded threads will be added, and there will be complete reply archives for 2500 threads, adding around 20,000 replies.

Reposting single lost threads

Referent

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Question
Is it advisable for forum members to "manually restore" single threads
that have not been restored yet?

If so, shall we attempt to include the "archived comments" that we have (e.g., included in the first post, as a second post, not at all, or in the separate Archived SH.org OP Replies category somehow)?

Background
One of the SH.org threads I had liked and bookmarked was World population: where are the missing trillions of people?.

It looks like this thread has not made its way to being recovered into SH.net yet. I wanted to revisit the topic today, though, hence this post.

I have found part of the thread I want to restore (first ten pages of text, haven't hunted for the media yet) from the backup 2020-06-24_www.stolenhistory.org.tar.gz (11G) that I had seen linked in the Discord. Internet Archive, Google Cache and Bing Cache appear to not currently contain the first page or most of the comment pages.

Help please
I don't want to mess with the consistence of what appears to be a highly ordered restore process. So I am asking for help on how the forum admins would like members to proceed in the case of one-off restorations like this.

Example guidance might be as simple as "Re-post with quoted material as you see fit, following the normal post formatting guidelines", or "That post is in our automated restoration scope but requires more processing still, please be patient", etc.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was covered somewhere already.

Last edited:

Referent

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Guessing now that this post ought have gone into the Help Thread in order to follow the 1st post's request.

Maybe the answer is to just repost the one-off archived thread using the same title, based on a prior discussion. But I still wonder if it's preferred to wait, e.g., if there are ongoing/planned processes that would address such content.

This is a status check and request for guidance before proceeding. Being cautious here, not wanting to rock this particular boat. I've read through about reply restoration and updates / maintenance but could use some guidance.

When there's a chance, seems perhaps @pushamaku or another admin might be able to comment on what's preferred here, or merge the OP into a more suitable location if appropriate. Thanks, all.

To clarify, the question is: "Is it recommended for us to re-post single threads like world-population-where-are-the-missing-trillions-of-people.142, or would it please be possible to check if this thread is already included in a queue of planned future mass restorations"?

Last edited:

Safranek

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Good question, as you stated its most likely one for pushamaku, as he's the one restoring most of the threads. I brought it to his attention in the chat. He'll probably give you an answer when he sees it.

dreamtime

Administrator/Moderator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
if you have only one old thread, I‘d say just post it anew with the same title and formatting. you can selectively include old replies via quotes below the OP.

The recovery process is mostly complete, but one additional update is planned for next year.

If it is in the archive, it’s strange that it wasn’t included in the recovery. Maybe an error. If it’s in the archives, @pushamaku might be able to recover it.

pushamaku

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
We also have some more threads that were archived by @Sylvanus777 including said thread; however this requires a lot of work to import properly (there are others) so for now we are holding off as @KD_1.0 stated he would publish the entire archive of SH1.0 under his .org domain. We are waiting for this to materialize in the new year.

So to keep things uniform, please do not restore any missing threads as we'll deal with it in the new year, hopefully after @KD_1.0 restores the backup on http://stolenhistory.org/

sandokhan

Reaction score
We have this thread:

However, the Californian Kingdom bordering Hypeborea link takes us to this thread:

Was there an original thread called "Californian Kingdom bordering Hypeborea?" ?

Referent

Trusted Member
Reaction score
We have this thread:

However, the Californian Kingdom bordering Hypeborea link takes us to this thread:

Was there an original thread called "Californian Kingdom bordering Hypeborea?" ?
It looks like the answer is "no, there was not a thread called Californian Kingdom bordering Hypeborea".

I double-checked by
  1. searching through file 2020-06-24_www.stolenhistory.org.tar.gz, finding no results, and
  2. seeing if the hyperlink referenced was given the name "Californian Kingdom bordering Hypeborea" to indicate what to look for at the destination--returning success, detailed below.
One can indeed find information about land labeled "California..." located near land labeled "Hyperborei..." by browsing through from the linked thread. For the linked thread ("TPTB: Playing Musical Chairs with Geography"), post #33 on page 2 of the archived replies mentions "California", and also links to some old maps on Stanford's website ("Hemisphaerium Ab Aequinoctiali...", Antwerp, [ca. 1587]). One of those is shown below, with highlights. I think this is what you were looking for.

Hemisphaerium Ab Aequinoctiali c1587 Antwerp.2.27291.california-hyperborea.cropped.jpg

Detail of California Reglo (Rule/Kingdom/Regulation) indicated within Arctic Circle near "Hyperborei..."

Hemisphaerium Ab Aequinoctiali c1587 Antwerp.2.27291.california-hyperborea.jpg

Full map with same highlights, "Hemisphaerium Ab Aequinoctiali...", Antwerp, [ca. 1587], purl.stanford.edu/dt157dk0184

Last edited: