Scottish history, part of the persecution

Coulness

Reaction score
For some reason Wikipedia begins the ‘recorded history of Scotland’ in the first century BC with the ‘Roman Empire’, which seems ridiculous at every Scot knows the ‘Romans’ didn’t get to the north. I propose to take some tentative steps (it’s my first attempt at sharing) to record the oral tradition of the Highlands of Scotland.

The oral tradition I have learned is of the Egyptian princess, Scota, who takes a husband (in some legends he is noted as her son, in others her grandfather) Goidel Glas (bringer of the Gaelic language). There is a legend that Goidel is bitten by a snake and Moses heals him but it leaves a green mark on him, hence his name Glas, meaning green. He is blessed by being told he will find a land to live in where there are no poisonous snakes- Ireland.

The couple suffers from disapproval and are driven from where they live- the version I learned says that this was as a result of anger and bad feeling after the failure of the Tower of Babel, which may link with the Gaelic language element. They travel through Europe to Spain, and into Ireland; they are seeking the land they have been promised, where they ‘know’ to be home. When they are in Spain Scota sees Ireland and knows that is her home, and gives the land her name- both Scotland and Ireland have taken her name.

There is a legend, and there are contemporary references to a network of caves and underground tunnels which link this area and perhaps mirror this journey.

Going underground: The massive European network of Stone Age tunnels that weaves from Scotland to Turkey

Scota is supposed to have brought the Stone of Scone, is mentioned in The Declaration of Arbroath (signed after one of the wars of independence, and full of weirdness) which was then taken to England because of its significance to crowning royals. Scota was most likely a real person, her grave is marked by the local council signage in Ireland.

The Stone of Destiny
Scota is supposed to have brought the Stone of Scone, is mentioned in The Declaration of Arbroath (signed after one of the wars of independence, and full of weirdness)
The Declaration of Arbroath | National Records of Scotland
Scota was most likely a real person, her grave is marked by the local council signage in Ireland.
652CF3FD-A890-4259-A9FB-9AC8725ACB95.jpeg

In the oral history which I learned, Scota and Goidel find that the famous giants, Fionn MacCumhaill and Benandonner (and a third, whose name I can’t recall) already live there, they have a long term rivalry, and one or all of them built the Giants Causeway which joins Ireland to Scotland.
455D7AF0-EEEA-4FAC-ABC9-8E65906CD79B.jpeg
20C274F9-B56A-4BCA-A20D-1D005EC1B9DB.jpeg
Much of Scotland’s oral history is taken up with these guys and their family and their fights- and, to be honest, I think I grew up knowing more about these guys than the Scottish Kings called Constantine, for example- Scottish history in terms of royal linage is not taught in schools, certainly not in the manner in which English schools have children recite the kings of their country, for example.
View: https://youtu.be/vC6okzIKQvg

If anything, Scottish kings and history are ridiculed, called ‘pretenders’ List of Scottish monarchs - Wikipedia
It seems easy to see how many of the Scottish kings are one and the same person, and most probably not in Scotland, strung out to stretch time, so they clearly don’t stand up to much in the way of study anyway. This makes it easier to accept that battles fought may also be one and the same, although the characters the narrative of the battles hang on are distracting, and often have extensive stories and legends attached to them, probably so we will identify with them and want to cling to them.

My current thinking is that wars took place, other posters have detailed a great amount of unrest across the Balkan regions which seem to identify with the people who came to Scotland (but the post I am thinking of is currently missingpeople fled persecution and brought with them their dress, and culture, and language (Gaelic is cited as having Indo-European roots).
90E6C5C8-70FC-4EA8-A6D9-D3EDA42264D8.jpeg

Those who settled in Scotland, and Ireland, are further persecuted and chased on to America and Canada. The Highland Clearances are a little spoken of time in Scotland, but they were not so long ago as to be wiped from the collective consciousness, and while it is frowned upon and hushed to discuss the horrific treatment of people, it is remembered. There is ongoing and interesting debate as to whether the Clearances constituted genocide, and it seems that, even now, it is frowned upon to even think that those who persecuted these people were ‘that bad’.
On Myths of Genocide

After the last Scottish war of independence (years feel cumbersome now that I don’t know what they mean) it is remembered that men were kept in prison ships where they were left to die in the most inhuman conditions . One way of escape was to agree to be conscripted to their oppressor’s army, where they were sent to fight abroad, and in the American Wars of Independence.
The Act of Proscription | Scottish Tartans Authority
Culture was forbidden by law, The Act of Proscription forbidding traditional language, music and dress- my understanding is this also happened in Ireland, but not so in Wales. As an aside, isn’t it interesting that Irish Gaelic is still forbidden in Northern Ireland, by law, that Scottish Gaelic is more of a tourist novelty, but in the principality of Wales their language is respected, so much so that on every government website, form and phone line the option to have it in Welsh is always included, but not Scottish nor Irish?

Visiting Bulgaria, I was immediately taken by the clear link in culture.
46389307-0564-4776-9209-C7DB7D57F639.jpeg
7A3FAB20-7050-44F7-94CE-FEADD84CD59F.jpeg
583E8869-9874-45B4-BD93-4056A30FBEF2.jpeg
601F0607-C970-4E96-8D79-9BD801D3BACB.jpeg

The Scottish lands were cleared after the war(s) of independence, by forced and subsidised emigration ‘to make way for profitable commercial farming’, people’s homes were burned around them, they died on overcrowded and inadequate ships, and they arrived penniless and diseased, ready to become slaves.
Jacobites, Culloden and Tilbury Fort | Thurrock historical figures | Thurrock Council

I have always thought it odd that some folks in the Highlands lived in black houses while their contemporaries lived in beautifully built stone houses over several floors, with these two very different standards of living happening in close proximity geographically and in time.
88AEEA34-0733-40C3-8613-82426C598653.jpeg

F514B310-1AE0-4EBD-8537-7E01B422A340.jpeg

Many people continued to live in their family homes, black houses, until well into the 20th century. Blackhouses of Scotland

To me it seems there is definitely a narrative here of a people, with a culture and a way of life, being harried and chased and killed. I only have pieces of the story from my country, but I have seen others posting who can connect these stories together.

Felix Noille

Deleted
Trusted Member
Reaction score
This is a great topic to expand upon. I wouldn't get too distracted by the Bulgarian thing if I were you. Also look to northern Spain, Galicia in particular where they even have bagpipes.

Some years ago, 2017 I think, I watched this video on YT 'Britain's Ancient Capital: Secrets of Orkney.' I wrote the following after watching:

"This discovery has apparently completely destroyed the official accepted version of stone age Britain. It would appear that Orkney was the origin and centre of ancient British culture, even pre-dating Stonehenge.

The program featured 4 main presenters. Chris Packham - the BB'Cs own tame biologist, some young engineer woman, a young action/adventure archaeologist tw*t and a mature long-haired geeky bloke who was the main narrator and who began by stating that all these incredible constructions were made by farmers... of course..

Bearing in mind that the new theory is that the megalithic stone monument-making culture spread south from Orkney through Britain and into northern Europe, the tame biologist then investigated the Orkney Vole - a vole only found on Orkney. It's DNA was compared to voles in other areas of Europe and found to be the closest match to the Belgian vole. He then pronounced that this proved the Orkney vole was introduced from Belgium to Orkney some 5-6000 years ago. Perhaps they were doing cheap holidays for voles in those days although I thought that Belgium was largely underwater in those times? Anyway, he further stated that people took the voles with them when they sailed from Europe to Orkney (completely missing the rest of the British Isles by the way) either as food, stowaways or pets...!?*

My initial take on the DNA thing was completely the opposite: that the European voles originated in Orkney and then spread to Europe. They obviously avoided mainland Britain because, like all Scots they hate the Sassenachs. I was amazed by the programmed preconception that everything always originates in Europe and spreads from there, especially when the entire thrust of the documentary was supposed to be showing the exact opposite.

The dappy engineer woman demonstrated how to quarry stone slabs with non-metal tools... although using precisely machined stone wedges and a very small slab. She also did the usual dragging of a 1.3 ton slab over wooden rollers and seaweed, but downhill of course and on totally flat ground. Some of the slabs used in the actual construction are over 6 tons and were quarried 7 miles away.

The site is full of hopeful young students and one of them was asked for his opinion as to what the site's main purpose would have been. He said it was to "impress people". In other words it's the ancient equivalent of posting a video on Youtube... God help future generations.

For me it all brought to mind Atlantis and also the legends of man's origins being in the North, plus the extreme weirdness over the strange layer of 'muck' that covers a tropical paradise beneath most of the Arctic Circle."

Also, even more many years ago, I was investigating the Isle of Iona - another fascinating place. It was in connection with the MEONIA phenomena. I'm afraid it's all so long ago now that I don't remember exactly what it was about. It was closely linked to Mary Queen of Scots, secret organisations and seven swords. If anyone is interested there's a book "The Seventh Sword" by Andrew Collins (written before he sold out and became an alternative historian tw*t.)

Also, what happened to all the trees in Scotland?

I look forward to reading what comes from this thread. 🙂(y)

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Great thread.

Issues with it though,

I am Welsh and fluent in the language.

Glas is not green, it's blue.

Another thing I take issue with, Wales was not spared this at all. Children were caned in schools for speaking Welsh for over fifty years.

The Welsh language only made a come back when Welsh people invested in independent language schools and independent university's. Nant Gwrtheyn, and Bangor university for example.

Great thread

khaoz

Banned
Reaction score
For the Russian ear, the word Scot is translated as cattle (cows, rams, etc.). Interestingly, this etymology bypasses and says that this is a mysterious Celtic word.
(The region of the shepherds with a mysterious name)

Another joke that Doncaster.
I think I understand everything that Don is a river or the bottom of a river (Rostov-on-Don). Caster is consonant with Fire, coal, logs, profession, and tower-fortress.
That is, again the unknown etymology of the Miners' region

This is a simpler and shorter version of the story :)

Felix Noille

Deleted
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Another joke
The Russian sense of humour is obviously very exclusive.

Mostly converted to planks and masts for the imperial fleet, AFAIK.
And to steel and coal.
Is that a guess or do you have a source?

"In the 17th and 18th centuries, many of the remaining woods were heavily exploited for timber, charcoal and tanbark. But this probably also secured their continued existence...
"A defining feature of Scotland’s woodlands has been the decline in woodland cover to an all-time low following the First World War.
"In 1919, Lloyd George said that Britain “had more nearly lost the war for want of timber than of anything else”. The Forestry Commission was created the same year, with the main aim of preventing such a strategic weakness ever arising again" Source

codis

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Another joke

Mostly converted to planks and masts for the imperial fleet, AFAIK.
And to steel and coal.
Is that a guess or do you have a source?

"In the 17th and 18th centuries, many of the remaining woods were heavily exploited for timber, charcoal and tanbark. But this probably also secured their continued existence...
"A defining feature of Scotland’s woodlands has been the decline in woodland cover to an all-time low following the First World War.
"In 1919, Lloyd George said that Britain “had more nearly lost the war for want of timber than of anything else”. The Forestry Commission was created the same year, with the main aim of preventing such a strategic weakness ever arising again" Source
I have been to Scotland during my university study. Thanks to a student exchange program, and the indignation of many students to get involved with other cultures and languages.
A fellow student was there with his car (a drama by itself !), so we were travelling quite often, and spent hours driving through bald hills and mountains.
Fellow Scottish students and professors told us most of the woods were deforested for said purpose.

khaoz

Banned
Reaction score
It is interesting!
Read about the French Somme River. ( Somme (river) - Wikipedia )
It turns out that its real name is Samara. Samara was renamed to the Somma in the 19th century (now I can't find the data, I've read this somewhere).
Samara is a river and a large city in Russia. There is also a tributary river of the large Dnieper River in Ukraine. (Similarly, there is Brest Francus, and Brest in Belarus)
(But of course, Samara is an ancient word. It is not from a modern language. It exists as a name, but has already lost its usual usage)

Catfish in Russian is Som. A very large catfish was caught in the Somme River ...

And these scientists say that the etymology is unknown, these are all mythical Celts and so on.
"It was long ago and not true." But in fact, in the 19th century :)

Again, the word Thames river is consonant with the Dark.
These magic words from the Celtic languages again say that this is "dark water".

"The Thames, from Middle English Temese, is derived from the Brittonic Celtic name for the river, Tamesas (from *tamēssa),[3] recorded in Latin as Tamesis and yielding modern Welsh Tafwys "Thames". The name may have meant "dark" Wikipedia

And this fact that Western-European linguists bypass these facts is evidence :) Silence of the topic (of course, there are works, but they are collectively kept in the closet), analysis of languages without Russian, not leaving links to names of the same name in other countries, the use of incomprehensible dead languages instead of real ones.

There is something interesting about the Celts. Some traces of a common language, common names, reticence, slavery, mockery, AND NOT SUCH ANCIENT. ("Yes, that was 2000 years ago, Romans, forget it!" :))
Post automatically merged:

Or here's an example, Loch Ness Lake. (Loch is a separate word in these languages)
In Russian, Loch is a fish that goes to spawn. Against the stream. Loch is usually red fish: trout, salmon.
To catch a Loch is to catch a tired fish going to spawn.
A very strange coincidence :)

Again, they will tell you about everything. About Gauls, Celts, Romans. They will just forget to report a complete coincidence with the fish-water theme in other languages))

Last edited:

Felix Noille

Deleted
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Fellow Scottish students and professors told us most of the woods were deforested for said purpose.
Hardcore mainstream then :)
Post automatically merged:

To catch a Loch is to catch a tired fish going to spawn.
"Loch (/lɒx/) is the Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Scots word for a lake or for a sea inlet. It is cognate with the Manx lough, Cornish logh, and one of the Welsh words for lake, llwch." Source

In Russian озеро (Ozero), means lake ...a very strange coincidence.

Now maybe we can get back to the subject under discussion in the OP?

Last edited:

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Upland as in land up to the treeline which is most of the land on this island, as opposed to the high land beyond the treeline is likely to have been deforested after the wolves were killed off as deer will go to extraordinary lengths to eat tree seedlings and new growth within reach of any tree.
Tree nibbling is enjoyed by voles, rabbits, goats, sheep. deer, cows, elk. Once any population of the predators of these creatures goes out of whack the tree eaters proliferate.
There are re-wilding (horrible terminology) going on in the scottish and welsh bits of the island where the deer sheep and goats are fenced out and the speed of tree growth is astonishing.

khaoz

Banned
Reaction score
"Loch (/lɒx/) is the Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Scots word for a lake or for a sea inlet. It is cognate with the Manx lough, Cornish logh, and one of the Welsh words for lake, llwch." Source

In Russian озеро (Ozero), means lake ...a very strange coincidence.

Now maybe we can get back to the subject under discussion in the OP?
Who are you to shut me up? :)

Loch is a fish (1) and a fishing place on a river or lake (2).
Likewise, there is such a fish word in the Finnish and Baltic languages.
Yes, truth. But Russian language there is more than one word for lakes and its different types :)

Why Celtic theme is forbidden in Scotland theme?
Discuss Official versions, that for example the Thames which translates as Dark, cannot be viewed through the Russian word "T`ma, Tёmniyб Temen` and etc words"? And just like that. Shut up and that's it.

Even words like Doncaster cannot use the word Don! The Don River is one of the most powerful and famous rivers in Russia. (Wikipedia authors would write, at least for reference, that there is such a river in Russia and this is a well-known ancient word for rivers)

"There are four Don rivers in Britain: Lancashire, Aberdeenshire (Scotland), South Yorkshire, and simply the Donets or Little Don"

And what is London?
Don is a river. Lon is an existing Russian word Lono (hole, woman's belly and uterus, rivers mouth).

How about the Tees River in Scotland? There is a river Tisa, It is a tributary of the Dunai :)

What about the river Wear (Vir) = Vir is the old word for the Maelstrom.

JWW427

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Im of the Stewart clan, Peterhead.
Bagpipes came from the Middle East originally.
Haggis tastes pretty good by the way.

codis

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Hardcore mainstream then :)
I had no reason to disbelieve them at that time. Not even now.
And we went up to Inverness and Orkney on occasion, passing through the remainder of the Caledonian forest.
And coming from a mostly forested uplands myself, I liked it much better than the bare mountain tops.

To a completely different topic: nationalism can be one of the strongest mental filters, competing with religion.
It can grow so strong that one doesn't realize the ridiculousness of one's arguments and justifications ...

Felix Noille

Deleted
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Who are you to shut me up? :)
If you consider someone disagreeing with you and trying to get a thread back on topic as 'shutting you up' then I'm absolutely no one. ":)" If you want to convince the world that the Russian language is the language of god or whatever point it is your trying to make,, then do it in a post of its own. Don't keep interjecting it into other topics. In that way those who have no interest in what you are saying can ignore your post and you won't derail other people's threads.

To a completely different topic: nationalism can be one of the strongest mental filters, competing with religion.
It can grow so strong that one doesn't realize the ridiculousness of one's arguments and justifications ...
...Sorry? Would you care to explain that with regard to this topic? Edit: Gottit (y)

Bagpipes came from the Middle East originally.
You may be right, but I think there's a danger when making sweeping statements like this. It's like saying 'All pyramids come from Egypt.' Just because they're found everywhere doesn't mean they came from the first place the mainstream claims they were discovered. Maybe they didn't come from anywhere specific, maybe they were 'universal' and simply came from wherever everything else came from - like us.

Speaking of pyramids, the British Israelite movement of the 1870's were responsible for much of the misinformation regarding the Stone of Scone:

"Biblical literalism is a cornerstone of British-Israelite dogma, with obscure passages of scripture wielded as blunt instruments in religious debates. Their obsession with the Stone of Scone or coronation stone is a good example of this: in their paroxysms of patriotic fervour, such an obscure but resolutely British object as the coronation stone must be found at least one biblical provenance.

"In the event they found two. The stone is (literally of course) ‘Jacob’s Pillow’, as attested by Scottish tradition: the stone on which Jacob rested his head, then blessed as a pillar in the temple of God. The second and more obscure connection is to the (clearly metaphorical) “stone that the builders rejected” in the Psalms, interpreted by later Christians as referring to the rejection of Jesus by humanity. For the British Israelites, this connects the stone of scone to the Great Pyramid (see below), as builder error in the construction of the pyramid allegedly meant that the intended capstone was unable to be fitted. This then became the coronation stone. This clumsy attempt to shoehorn vague materials and sites into equally vague or totally allegorical fragments of scripture is typical of bullshit biblical archaeology at its worst."
Source

As usual, the true identity and purpose of the stone has been utterly obliterated from history through misinformation and total nonsense. It was obviously very important to monarchs. Who knows, perhaps it was a symbolic 'thought-form' and therefore the issue of its authenticity is irrelevant?

Last edited:

khaoz

Banned
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Felix Noille, post: 35341, member: 89"]

Если вы считаете, что кто-то не согласен с вами и пытается вернуться к теме обсуждения, как «заткнувший вам рот», то я абсолютно никто. « :)Если вы хотите убедить мир в том, что русский язык - это язык бога или что-то еще, о чем вы пытаетесь сказать, то сделайте это в собственном посте. Не вмешивайтесь в другие темы. Таким образом, те, кого не интересует то, что вы говорите, могут проигнорировать ваш пост, и вы не сорвете обсуждения других людей.

[/ QUOTE]
Well, you are already a real London Briton ))
Again, this is the point of hate for the British and Irish. Some say everything directly. The second speak in secrets, in hints, politely rude. They cannot say anything openly. Where does the politically correct psychosis come from in the world now?

Ummm, it doesn't bother me that much. I know the answer.
It's just that the British (and other) official linguists who do not use Russian and other Slavic languages make me laugh. Teenagers :)
This is a rather difficult task to explain something without Russian.

As an example Rædwald = Ræd + wald
1) Rada (modern Ukrainian parlament) + Vlada. Council plus Power-Reign.
2) Either Rod + Volod (Vlast`) Head of the Family, leading the family.
Again, there is the same name as RodVolod