Seeking english translation of german book 'Juden-Elend im Lande der Romanows', Paul Dimidow (1891)

KeeperOfTheKnowledge

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an english translation of the book Juden-Elend im Lande der Romanows, Paul Dimidow (1891) (English: "Misery of the Jews in the Land of the Romanovs"). I have spent an obscene amount of time prior to posting in trying to find a translation of this book, and I am somewhat ashamed to admit I am unable to read german barely at all. I have tried Google Translate, but the book is over the 10mb limit. Might anyone have a lead to an english translation?

davtash

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an english translation of the book Juden-Elend im Lande der Romanows, Paul Dimidow (1891) (English: "Misery of the Jews in the Land of the Romanovs"). I have spent an obscene amount of time prior to posting in trying to find a translation of this book, and I am somewhat ashamed to admit I am unable to read german barely at all. I have tried Google Translate, but the book is over the 10mb limit. Might anyone have a lead to an english translation?
Will be interesting to read it once translated sounds fascinating. I am still unclear who the Romanovs were/are? Other than mainstream histories and other guesses.

KeeperOfTheKnowledge

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I have begun translating this pamphlet from german to english. For the most part it makes sense but is not by any means perfect, and I would appreciate if others would constructively critique this translation. What follows is the Title Page and Introduction, pages 1-10 of the pdf:

Jewish Misery in the Land of the Romanovs

portrayed

by

Paul Dimidow.

Introduction.

The educated west of Europe has for a decade been the involuntary and inactive spectator at a spectacle, the gigantic stage of which is given over to the vast Russian Empire, a deplorable spectacle at which the tears of the audience flow ceaselessly; for it is a highly tragic tragedy, tragic no less for the hero of the study than for him against whom he draws his sword. The drama in which bloody scenes have been accumulating incessantly for a decade, which play out one after the other without the curtain falling for a moment, is the persecution of the Jews.

Let us ignore the natural movement of the human heart for a moment, let us ignore for a moment how dreadful it is to know the helpless suffer from the fist of the overwhelming! Must we not feel compassion from the outset for the Russian people themselves, for that great nation which could prove so unworthy of its glorious historical mission? For what is the provisional task which world history has given the Russian people for centuries?

In the beginning, this mighty people was supposed to be a bulwark against the onslaught of barbarism and unculture, the bearers of which rolled up in unpredictable flocks from East Asia and threatened to suffocate Europe under their force. And now, after those unfortunate floods had been dampened, Russia was to take up European culture and, as the appointed bearer of civilization, transfer what had been received to the East - Russia was called by Providence to "bring culture to the East"!

1*​

- 4 -​

And this great task must take a back seat, this sublime mission is seen as something small, where it is a matter of oppressing, subjugating and throwing a tiny house of one's own population. If it doesn't have to fill us with pity, we don't have to mourn a Russia itself, which day after day sullies its shield of honor with the blood of ancient Israel! "The bearer of culture" throws himself full of raw fury at another highly cultured people, he wastes his energies, which he should devote to the struggle for civilization, in order to kill education itself.

And the other side, which this spectacle presents for contemplation! Have you ever been able to calmly watch when a strong man knocked a weak person to the ground? Didn't you get outraged when you saw a helpless woman sinking under the fists of an angry man who was superior to her? Wouldn't you be indignant if you saw how someone tries his strength on a tender child, on him who cannot resist, cooling his little effort?

Well, the same thing is happening now in the Holy Russian Empire. A great people of many, innumerable millions throws themselves on a crowd that hardly comes into consideration in number compared to those gigantic masses, and precisely those who should lead the people to true morality and true happiness, who above all from such aberrations, We should protect ourselves from such moral decline, yes, let us say briefly, from such meanness - we see them as callers in this dispute.

For who is it from whom these persecutions of the Jews in Russia proceed? Is it the lower masses of the people who, through a momentary surge and petty desire, can forget the great Aanze? Are it uneducated hordes, inclined to crime and violence, who are driven by redness and greed, who out of blind passion are able to strike all the laws of humanity in the face? Oh no! - You must be the bearers of that movement, the leaders in this dispute, in the higher regions​

- 5 -

of Russian society, and the further you climb, the closer you come to the steps of the throne, the more fiery the jewels of the crown flash, the closer you are to the true soul of this unfortunate blood drama.​

But see now, how is it actually played, how mean these people behave, how shamelessly the rushing and rooting is carried out in the anti-Semitic, anti-Semitic press that is hostile to Jews! See these journalists, how for sale their pen is! Pay them a salary of a few hundred rubles and their pen will immediately be used in the service of Jewish interests. They, who have just been full of drool, suddenly feign moral indignation, only to pass over to the other side as soon as they are better paid there. But precisely because they do not get enough from the Jews, they use the previously unheard of cheeky language, with an astonishing courage they repeat all those lies that have already been refuted a thousand times. Wherever an act of violence against the Jews is committed by the mob, it is greeted with applause by this press, and every attack by a sublime official, every act of violence by a governor, every shameless violation of the law by any ruler, otherwise threatened with the most severe punishments , can count on applause as soon as it is only a Jew who has to suffer. And how far does that cynicism go in this respect that ignores one's own harm if only it affects the Jews too? When Leon Rosenthal, that great philanthropist, died in Petersburg, whose heart knew no difference between Jews and Christians, and who evenly showed his care and leniency to everyone, one could read the characteristic note in the anti-Semitic press: "Today the Jewish rabbi Rosenthal died. "

And such a press, such an attitude does not derive its existence from the yeast of the people, behind men who write such things is not the great mass of the uneducated - oh, no. We have already indicated it and​

- 6 -​

must say it openly: the government and its crowned head, the Tsar Alexander III of Russia, those are the party men of those revolver journalists.

For the little man in Russia, especially the peasant, knows very well who his real oppressors are. He sees in the Jew not his enemy, but his fellow sufferer. They both have to sigh under the same pressure, under the same burden. The "people" in Russia were until recently the chosen victim, upon whom the nobility and civil servants threw themselves, who they sucked down to the last drop of blood. Now, after having done this for half a millennium, they demand a change, and now it is the Jews who must serve!

The nobility and the government of Russia are the leaders of that unhappy movement! But by no means all higher officials, by no means all noblemen! Hardly half a dozen higher dignitaries, a handful of indebted and morally depraved "aristocrats" and in their wake the whole chorus of hungry newspaper writers - it is they who hold the whole witches' Sabbath and who cover the name of Russia with disgrace and for with their doings degrading all time.

There you see people who, because of their birth, upbringing and social position, have never come into contact with a Jew, who have absolutely no idea of the nature of the Israelite population of Russia and of Judaism. These people pose as judges, indulge in high-pitched phrases, and break the baton over six million people, hardly a single one of whom they have ever seen. There you see men, whose only occupation so far has been to frivolously waste the fortune inherited from their ancestors, who have always lived on the sweat of others and fattened themselves - they want to "brand" the Jews as parasites, want to prevent them that the "strangers suck up the Russian people!"​

- 7 -​

In order to persecute the Jews, to oppress them, to drive them - if possible - completely out of the country, no means is too bad for them, no motive too miserable for them. In the past people at least appealed to religion or appealed to the alleged "national feeling?" the people were persuaded that their highest goods, faith and the fatherland, were in danger! But now one seeks to awaken the lowest passions slumbering in the human heart, now at the end of the nineteenth century one is preaching in Russia the "struggle for existence" in its most disgusting form! Envy and greed are invoked, envy and greed are driving forces! So in the year 1891 of salvation it actually got so far that every grain usurer in the country, every milk falsifier in the city is "morally indignant" about the Jews, every Christian stock market jobber, every speculator is a zealot against the Jews They all try to constrict the Jews to the point of suffocation, after all they have been persuaded that they will eat their bread away, that they will be carefree, yes, that they will be rich and happy as soon as they get rid of the "strangers". Greed, self-interest, and profit-seeking have been thrown into the cauldron of the witch's kitchen so that it foams up and the caustic poison splashes and sprays in all directions! -

But how was all this possible? Where did this hellish noise, this confusion come from? Finding the answer is not difficult; we have already indicated it. "Like the master, like the servant" is an old proverb and its justification is more evident than usual in Russian conditions. Alexander III showed quite blatantly when he took office that he was thoroughly averse to anything that was not specifically Russian. Hardly had a certain class of people or - more correctly - monsters noticed this than they threw themselves on everything foreign with formal fanaticism, with true berserk rage. The Germans, the Finns, the Poles and the Jews. Hey, what a wonderful booty! But take it, gentlemen! Be careful not to touch the Germans​

- 8 -​

too violently, it could be dangerous, because on the other side of the Memel and the Vistula there are about 45 million of their tribesmen, who have an army of a million soldiers, and who are also not lacking in cannons. But there are the Poles and here, finally, the Jews; they lack any protection, one can cool one's troubles with them, every official can test and prove his ability here, every nerd can make himself popular as a true reputation in higher and highest places!

In Russia there is no free popular movement and no spontaneous public opinion, everything there is under the control of the government, and the government does not tolerate any associations or assemblies, but especially no vices that it dislikes. The soul of the Russian people is concentrated in the soul of the ruling tsar; What lives and weaves in the latter finds expression and echo in the processes that take place in the country itself. The tsar is the autocrat of all Russians, and his will alone rules the country.

But what does this mean for our consideration?

Well, nothing less than the one irrefutable fact that Tsar Alexander III is solely responsible for all the atrocities that have been committed against the Jews in Russia for the last ten years. The Jewish blood that is shed in his kingdom cries out against him and against him alone into heaven and accuses him! If the bowl, which is filled with the anger of truly indignant Europe, is to empty itself over the guilty head, it must be left to Alexander III and when world history will one day sit in judgment on him, it will hold him accountable for all the outrages that have taken place under his auspices, and put them on his account with blood-red letters in their annals!

In the following, however, we want to collect the material of that incorruptible world judge for her verdict on Alexander III.​

As a side note: the more I read over this pamphlet, the more my german language lessons from decades ago are (ever so slowly) coming back, like riding a bicycle with training wheels and a parent holding you on the bike. But even so...

EDIT: It will be difficult for me to refrain from giving my opinion on the subject matter within this pamphlet, and simply continue to translate.

Last edited:

freygeist

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I have begun translating this pamphlet from german to english. For the most part it makes sense but is not by any means perfect, and I would appreciate if others would constructively critique this translation. What follows is the Title Page and Introduction, pages 1-10 of the pdf:

As a side note: the more I read over this pamphlet, the more my german language lessons from decades ago are (ever so slowly) coming back, like riding a bicycle with training wheels and a parent holding you on the bike. But even so...

EDIT: It will be difficult for me to refrain from giving my opinion on the subject matter within this pamphlet, and simply continue to translate.

Some formulations are a bit strange, but overall its a very good translation, and its in old german scripture and has some "archaic" language, which makes it not so easy to translate. For example the beginning, "abgiebt" is more in the sense of "sein" or "darstellen".

"The educated west of Europe has for a decade been the involuntary and inactive observer of a spectacle, which gigantic stage is the vast Russian Empire, a deplorable spectacle at which the tears of the audience flow ceaselessly; for it is a highly tragic fiasco, tragic no less for the hero of the piece (play) than for him whom he draws his sword against."

Something like that. There is probably some more and i will read over it again from time to time, see if i find more. Maybe some other Germans can help too...

Tips
Tips
Please respect our Posting Rules.

Users who are viewing this thread