Server Updates / Maintenance

feralimal

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Out of interest, what censorship did you bump into with Discord?

dreamtime

Administrator/Moderator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
We haven't experienced any censorship in our channel.

Main benefits of a self-hosted chat, in my view, is more privacy and security (they have the worst privacy policy), and less danger of discord shutting things down at one point, because it will only be a question of time until they follow the path of Facebook and Reddit.

feralimal

Trusted Member
Reaction score
We haven't experienced any censorship in our channel.

Main benefits of a self-hosted chat, in my view, is more privacy and security (they have the worst privacy policy), and less danger of discord shutting things down at one point, because it will only be a question of time until they follow the path of Facebook and Reddit.
Absolutely - I agree completely. Bitchute too, I think.

And actually, a server from someone called 'Ice Age Farmer' was censored on Discord:
View: https://www.bitchute.com/video/1QLsx12DoG1b/

conductor

Trusted Member
Reaction score
The 'search' function appears to not be working for me. Everything I tried turns up no results. Is it me or is there maintenance going on?
Thank you.

Referent

Trusted Member
Reaction score
This is a wall of text, so apologies in advance, but for those interested, here's my detailed answer.

Summary
On Discord I did not feel participatory (or was blocked from participation) and self-censored (or was censored by staunch though perhaps pigheaded technology choices). That said, I could always gain read-access, which was a "lifeline" indeed until SHNet rose up--so that was okay! Much gratitude for those behind/on the Discord, since that was useful, that's not the focus of this comment though.

Trouble signing in?
Chiming in here only because I have a somewhat relevant answer. The censorship I experienced on Discord was self-imposed, because I couldn't successfully confirm my registration on Discord and log into my reserved name. I was willing to sign up, and tried with numerous email addresses. However, Discord would not let me sign up in the way that I wanted to. Without having a persistent registration (ability to log in under the account name "reserved"), I had little enough traction/incentive/continuity-belief, definitely below participation threshold (would my access be suddenly cut off when the invite link expired, as another had?). I could PM but I'm not sure I could post in chat. Not that I had a ton to say/contribute, but still to connect and have more of a place.

Email provider discrimination?
It seemed that Discord might have wanted only an email address from a major provider (Google, Yahoo, AOL, MSN, Outlook, etc.). Discord would not let me register and log in with a ProtonMail account. Incidentally, the major providers all required mobile phone registration it seems, whereas I was satisfied with my non-mobile-requiring account (even though it may not be quite as privacy oriented as it is intended to be, this was one plus). I had generated some temporary email addresses prior to landing on ProtonMail for the purpose, but they had gotten me even less far as I recall.

Digits, please?
To me, the phone number is the obvious unique personal identifier for anything associated with that registration, along the lines of an SSN or UID. Sure who give's a rat's behind, this is a harmless community. But if I don't see a need to give it out to the software provisioner as a starting assumption, I would prefer not to. I tried all the temporary mobile verification sites/countries/numbers I could find to register a fresh account on a major email provider, but none worked. And I wasn't invested enough, I guess, to seek out some kind of 2fac auth service--though I am now aware there is a subreddit for that, that seems shady to me.

Proxy issue?
I am not sure if this had to do with my using the Tor browser for SH. AFAICT this is not against the rules, and I read the rules carefully. I know Tor is not perfect (and could be reverse perfect!), but my understanding is that by using the proxy someone somewhere else in a less free place might have a slightly better shot at open communication. And if it itself is a magnifying glass, I'm cool with that. But all I remember (and this was already blocked out by now) was Captcha after Captcha and reconnecting with different proxies to even get into the (pre-login functionality, likely ephemerally available, "read-only"?) interface. Total chore!

Compared with SHNetChat
To cut to the chase, I thank the stars (and admins, wittingly or by default) for the ability to smoothly register on SHNet a well as log into SHNetChat while still using preferred ProtonMail credentials and Tor browser. Seems basic, yet a major point of grace for the simple but principled little ol' me.

There, I have said too much but it is an example of censorship of sorts. Point not being to have a bulletproof argument but to share my story, especially since it may be the minority case. "For information purposes only."

Last edited:

luddite

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
I had my account limited until i removed comments that were about Big Lebowski Marches and other mods (on other servers) had told me ill be banned soon. So that was also part of the motivation after Dreamtime mentioned about mattermost. So, several overlapping motivations.

CHAT/SITE WAS DOWN TODAY
Very sorry everyone - We had some issues that turned out to be difficult to solve. All solved now!

dreamtime

Administrator/Moderator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Server was down for a couple hours due to technical error with payment processing.

luddite

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
SERVER DOWN: NOT MY FAULT, I SWEAR!!!
1. Our host changed our IP address on de.stolenhistory.net and stolenhistory.net because the IP-range lease block expired. That took the site down for an hour this morning.
2. Our host had a hardware failure in the Data Center where our server is. We had no notification. This took 3 hours to resolve as they pushed our server onto temporary hardware and then onto permanent hardware. Then due to the abrupt site interruption there was some internal network configuration that wouldn't allow the site to start normally. I hard to restart about 10 times until it corrected itself.