SH Archive Replies Tartarian Professional Knights: Tournaments and Parades in Nuremberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabzynn

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Note: This post was recovered from the Sh.org archive.
Username: Mabzynn
Date: 2020-01-06 23:07:04
Capture.JPG
The Leopold part was interesting to me. A Moor in Germany with the name Leopold.

Another Leopold and I spoke way too soon on the Christianity bit...

Capture2.JPG

It's like the Aethiopians brought Christianity to the pagan Germans. This one is even named Christian.

capture3.JPG

_harris

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: 0harris0
Date: 2020-01-06 23:25:57
Stefan Haller "Bold Lion"/"The Bold"
Hallers and the wandering son

Leopold Haller Weichen
Hallers son from the Forestmasters
or Kolerin('s) Son

Hannsz Schurstab "the bold"?
Schurstab and the Forestmaster
or Kolerin's son

Christian Haller Kries(???)
Haller's son ... .
.... from the Kolerin

Wondering what this Kolerin business is about!

EDIT- google is being kind!
"Born in Nürnberg, Mittelfranken, Bayern, Deutschland on ABT 1421. Hans V SCHÜRSTAB married Agnes ÜBLER and had 2 children. He passed away on 1488 in Nürnberg, Mittelfranken, Bayern, Deutschland."

seems the Kolerin has morphed but a surname also- Kohler.. "From the charcoal makers"?

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Username: jd755
Date: 2020-01-07 12:41:33
There;s nothing random about these images which are definitely, in my book, pictures of a parade not a jousting tournment scenario.
Again me being thick probably but the cock is on a horse pulling a country skills 'float' to use modern parlance as there is are farming tools used, rakes sickels etc and a bee hive on the float., cannot see the Christian connection.

Perhaps identifying where in the world these styles of implements were used could identify the possible location of the artis(s).

The dying or emciated horse is nearing the end of its days and is pulling a sled with the grim reaper and or father time (to me the exact same character made palatble to different audiences) stood smiling with his scythe at the front of the sled ready to end the horse at the appropriate moment. A sled which is made of bleached bones and the whole ensemble controlled by a skeleton the only mortal remains of men and beasts that survive the process of decomposition the longest.
The black cross with red outline I have seen before on something or other but I appear to be having another of those days where I cannot remember where.

Incidentally the conflation of Christian with Catholic feels very wrong. If even five of the events Catholics/Jesuits say they did are true historical accounts then obviously they ain't Christian but something else pre tending.

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: HollyHoly
Date: 2020-01-14 19:40:02
I wonder if this hooked x has anything to do with the 3 'crosstikas I found in new Mexico

1579030791653.png

AthroposRex

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: AnthroposRex
Date: 2020-06-30 15:16:31
That game looks a bit like Triumph as well. Almost looks like the ace of cups on the far left.

Potato

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: TeachMe
Date: 2020-06-30 16:01:45
Is it just me or is all this imagery reminiscent of the "Morris Dance"?

morris.jpgmorris2.jpgmorris3.jpg

We have the cock, men clashing with sticks instead of swords, the hobby horse, etc. The Morris Dance is a Spring ritual and often performed on May Day. The origins of this dance are unknown and many differing explanations are given for where it came from:

'as with many folk customs, the origins are hidden in the mists of time and coloured by later perceptions, which may or may not have been correct', Alun Howkins

It is possible that the word Morris is derived from the word ‘Moorish' or ‘morisco' (a derogatory term meaning ‘little Moors'). Certainly in the very late middle ages, Morris dancers were sometimes referred to as morisco dancers, but it is pretty certain that, whatever the origin of the word, there is no evidence that the dance came from the Moors or entered the country with the armies of John o' Gaunt or anything of that sort. Neither is there proof of any connection between Moorish dancing and Morris dancing.

According to Professor Howkins, when people recorded these customs in the 1890s, they were obsessed with seeking out ancient beginnings. In the seventeenth century there had been suggestions of a connection with Moorish dancing and it was adopted as a convenient theory. It fitted in, for example, because some dancers blacked up their faces and attached bells to their legs, which was believed to be something to do with North Africa.

Similarly, there is little evidence that Morris dancing has any connection with pagan festivals other than that many societies across the world celebrate calendar events with dance customs. What we do know though is that Morris dancing has a long recorded history in this country, the earliest reference being from 1448.

History of Morris Dancing

As far as the naked man on a hobby horse, I remember reading that long ago the hobby horse rider would be naked underneath the horse's banners/blanket. He would chase down young girls and capture them under the canopy and would "service" them as a spring rite. May Day celebrations also have contested origins. I think the MAY Day and the MAY QUEEN might be a reference to Inanna, the goddess who stole the "ME" (pronounced May) from the other gods with her womanly wiles. Her connection to Venus as the goddess of love and warfare would seem to comingle the themes.

Forgive me if this is too far afield for the topic. It just felt pertinent somehow.

Archive

SH.org Archive
Reaction score
Username: Unkindled
Date: 2020-07-28 21:44:12
This feller right here has Melucine as his symbol, which is pretty much a Gaulish/Celt legend up until the '15th' century. Wonder what this is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread