SH.org OP Date
2018-12-28 12:49:56
SH.org Reaction Score
SH.org Reply Count

KD Archive

Not actually KorbenDallas
Trusted Member
Reaction score
For right now I do think that the majority of the medieval knights were some sort of pro-sportsmen, rather than soldiers. We allegedly have this thing called hastilude, which was a generic term used in the Middle Ages to refer to many kinds of martial games. One of those martial games was jousting:

jousting_Paulus_Hector_Mair_Tjost.jpg
  • Jousting is a martial game between two horsemen wielding lances with blunted tips. The primary aim was to replicate a clash of heavy cavalry, with each participant trying hard to strike the opponent while riding towards him at high speed, if possible breaking the lance on the opponent's shield or jousting armour, or unhorsing him. The joust became an iconic characteristic of the knight in Romantic medievalism. The participants experience close to three and a quarter times their body weight in G-forces when the lances collide with their armour.
Tartary Flag / Crest
It appears that Tartary had at least two different flags. One of those flags represented the Emperor of Tartary, and the other one represented the actual Empire of Tartary. You can see those flags below. I have no clue why they had to have two different flags. May be only wisdom of the Owl could control the power of the Griffin. Then again, may be the power of the Griffin was supposed to safeguard the wisdom of the Owl.

flag_country.jpg
While browsing through the Album of Tournaments and Parades in Nuremberg (16th-17th centuries), I noticed a couple of knights sporting owls on their horse blankets.

tart_1-11.jpg
I think those owls could be indicating that these specific knights were representing the Tartarian Empire during the tournament. Well, at least, one of the below owls did. May be both, for if the Owl symbol did represent the Empire of Tartary, I'm not sure it could have been used by some other Kingdom, Empire, or whatever they had back then.

tart_68_1_1.jpg
Now I finally got to the point of this overinflated post. These two knights appear to have their names written above their heads.

tart_72_2_1.jpg
KD: If you can make out these two names, please let us know what they are. Also, if you have anything to share (related to this thread), please feel free to do so.
Note: This OP was recovered from the Wayback Archive.

dreamtime

Administrator/Moderator
Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
With the weapons and strategy of the time, a regiment in the American Civil War could have killed about 500 to 1000 men per minute, "but in fact only one to two men fell per minute during a battle. After the Battle of Getisburg, 27000 muskets left behind were collected on the battlefield, 90 percent of which were loaded. This is unusual because at that time it took 95 percent of the time to load and only 5 percent to fire. Even more unusual was that of the loaded weapons, over half were loaded more than once. One gun still had 23 bullets in the barrel. People exposed themselves to fire, they were ready to die, but they couldn't bring themselves to kill. Killing has to be learned." - Dave Grossman

Tips
Tips
Please respect our Posting Rules.

Users who are viewing this thread