The Decline of the West - Oswald Spengler

hellojett

Reaction score
First post! I just downloaded the PDF for Tragedy and Hope by Carroll Quigley - in case anyone wants it - Direct Download to PDF of Tragedy & Hope. I was reading the back cover, and it mentioned Toynbee and Spengler. These names seem so familiar, I hear them from time to time, yet I don't know anything about them - It would be interesting if anyone could share any thoughts about them.

In searching for Oswald Spengler, a German Philosopher and School Teacher (wikipedia), I learnt that he wrote a book called The Decline of the West, which I also often hear the name of. For a quick overview of what it was about, I searched on YT and found the below video with an interesting timeline indicating that we don't just have until 2025-2027 which is what a few people have predicted, (Sylvie Ivanova - Newearth on YT - has made a fascinating timeline chart with her prophecies research) seems it could get progressively worse / weirder for longer than my lifetime even... It shows the progression as seasons through lifestyle, music, art, architecture, society, leaders/government, wars etc.

This man died in 1936, they are his predictions.

It's made me a bit depressed.

galweg

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Thank you for linking that video. Had never heard of Spengler, and yer the video is portraying exactly what I have been feeling as regards the decline of the west. I have thought that we are in decline for a number of years, as demonstrated by politicians, Disney, Globalism, etc. Having it defined has certainly been helpful to me. Am going to look more into Spengler. Again, thank you.

TrangoSpackler

Reaction score
Not sure who tipped me off to Toynbee and Spengler; might have been Dimitri Orlov. Toynbee seems to walk the official history chalk. His 'A Study of History' is a challenging read but it is broken up by numerous interesting plates. Not so with Spengler. I picked up an abridged copy of 'Decline' on Amazon for peanuts and I should warn you that this book even in abridged form is nothing you are going to fan through in a weekend. It begins with a preface to the abridged edition, a preface to the first edition and then a preface to the revised edition before a 37 page introduction. It requires a high level of focus to read and was apparently written for an audience of highly educated late 19th century professors and not for those of us with attention spans punished by illicit herbs and video screens back in the day. I try to eke out 10 pages or so and then reward myself with several other less challenging books. I can barely parse his message but always come away feeling that I was in the company of great intellect.

In short both of these authors are pretty much over my head and I look forward to a breakdown of their works by other members of this forum.
Not sure who tipped me off to Toynbee and Spengler; might have been Dimitri Orlov. Toynbee seems to walk the official history chalk. His 'A Study of History' is a challenging read but it is broken up by numerous interesting plates. Not so with Spengler. I picked up an abridged copy of 'Decline' on Amazon for peanuts and I should warn you that this book even in abridged form is nothing you are going to fan through in a weekend. It begins with a preface to the abridged edition, a preface to the first edition and then a preface to the revised edition before a 37 page introduction. It requires a high level of focus to read and was apparently written for an audience of highly educated late 19th century professors and not for those of us with attention spans punished by illicit herbs and video screens back in the day. I try to eke out 10 pages or so and then reward myself with several other less challenging books. I can barely parse his message but always come away feeling that I was in the company of great intellect.

In short both of these authors are pretty much over my head and I look forward to a breakdown of their works by other members of this forum.

SonofaBor

Trusted Member
Reaction score
A superficial observation: This book was read by students at Reed College in Portland, Oregon and highly regarded by, at least, poet Gary Snyder as a student there in 1950 or so. A book like this does not travel half way around the world without promotion. Who would find that advantageous? Especially after 1945? All of these "cultural pattern" books-- and there many in Anthropology (e.g. Ruth Benedict) from this period-- seem to do one thing very well: distract from the study of history (meaning the artifacts and stories, etc). By doing so, they keep our research off TPTB and ourselves-- while putting an impossible blame on ourselves for living in such a "soy paste vat" (Bo Yang on Chinese "culture" from the same period). Helpless melancholia is a natural result. I prefer wonder and continuous investigation.

Last edited:

Oracle

Trusted Member
Reaction score
First post! I just downloaded the PDF for Tragedy and Hope by Carroll Quigley - in case anyone wants it - Direct Download to PDF of Tragedy & Hope. I was reading the back cover, and it mentioned Toynbee and Spengler. These names seem so familiar, I hear them from time to time, yet I don't know anything about them - It would be interesting if anyone could share any thoughts about them.

In searching for Oswald Spengler, a German Philosopher and School Teacher (wikipedia), I learnt that he wrote a book called The Decline of the West, which I also often hear the name of. For a quick overview of what it was about, I searched on YT and found the below video with an interesting timeline indicating that we don't just have until 2025-2027 which is what a few people have predicted, (Sylvie Ivanova - Newearth on YT - has made a fascinating timeline chart with her prophecies research) seems it could get progressively worse / weirder for longer than my lifetime even... It shows the progression as seasons through lifestyle, music, art, architecture, society, leaders/government, wars etc.

This man died in 1936, they are his predictions.

It's made me a bit depressed.
Interesting video, as @SonofaBor says though it reeks of propaganda. I especially reject it's final statement "Optimism is Cowardice".
This final statement alone should tell you of it's mission ....be afraid, be very afraid.
No wonder you feel depressed if you take it on board.
Don't. Optimism is enabling and keeps you in the Light.
Also I never pledged my Soul to the Darkness for so called power and money, bet you didn't either.
There are those that have offered up our souls ( which they can't possess unless we hand them over) in order for THEM to attain these things, that is the whole transhumanist deal, so they can possess them to fulfill their contract. If we don't fall for it, they will have breached their contract and I believe their punishment will be eternally dire.
As for the op I can't offer anything as I haven't studied the author or book but thanks for the post!

Lightseeker

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I have the book in my collection but never got around to reading it. Time to do something about it.

CBRadio

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I think it's worth remembering that writers such as Spengler, and Toynbee, were trying to make sense of the past, as it was presented to them, just as we are today. And they had experienced the First World War. If you believe the literature of the 1920s, the worlds of intelligentsia and 'society' were full of disillusioned, broken people, either dancing themselves to a frenzy in the 'Jazz age' or, presumably, writing melancholic books like Spengler.

Timely reminder that there are predecessors to SH who wanted to find a rationale behind chaotic and life-destroying events - but did so within a conventional historical framework. I like to think we are in the light here.

Users who are viewing this thread