The real story of dog domestication

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
wolf mummy2.jpg
So this week was overtaken by the breakthrough super sciencey research on the origins of dogs so scrap the old garbage midden theory and brace yourselves. Wolves became dogs because Ice age hunters had to much lean meat and didn't know what to do with it so they fed it to wolves and that turned wolves into dogs! So there ya go now stop asking about how dogs became domesticated. Apparently humans need fat to process proteins so they ate the fatty bits and gave the wolves the less nutritious lean bits. Ice age hunters were so skilled they just caught so much that they gave it to vicious predatory wildlife.

just the tip of the iceberg how many versions of this story popped up in various news platforms
Excess protein enabled dog domestication during severe Ice Age winters
Humans may have domesticated dogs by accident by sharing excess meat
The leftovers' route to dog domestication
Our ancestors domesticated dogs by sharing leftover meat during the last Ice Age, new study suggests
The Leftovers Route to Dog Domestication
You get the gist

Im wondering what kind of fantasy world these 'scientists" are channeling because the story we have been getting from them until now is the ice age was a time of hardship and deprivation where only the strong survived the vicious onslaughts of nature. But here we see ice age hunter gatherers with so few worries they are feeding wolves, Who turned into dogs as a result, but there are still wolves.

some of the things these articles will teach you

Plants were scarce and prey was lean during those harsh Ice Age winters. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors could only get all 45% of the calories they needed to survive from eating lean meat, since too much can cause protein poisoning (human livers aren't well-adapted to metabolizing protein). In the absence of plant-based carbs, our ancestors relied on animal fat and grease to supplement their diet.
Still, you have leftover lean meat because that’s not the part of the musk ox that people like. What to do with it? Toss it to the wolf pup! You don’t know why you took the beast in, but it’s cute, and it seems to thrive on the parts of the kill you don’t favor. If this happens often enough, and you and your children and their children end up keeping some of these wolves and their progeny, what do you get? Dogs!
Here Im going to say no humans have ever conceived a fondness for wolves as a society maybe the occasional unsocialized psycho loner but not families with kids and wives so on Residents want wolf hunt see what I mean?

of peculiar note here is they fed wolves but not tigers bears or lion so we don't have any domestic tigers bears or lions. I'm pretty disappointed

Not that the ice age narrative is in anyway cohesive apparently when they weren't working on domesticating wolves they were relandscaping the general terrain of whole continents to get rid of all those pesky trees Did Ice Age hunters burn Europe’s forests? | EarthSky.org

other questions that come to mind are why this story now??? Is this really that relevant to something or another?
if we cant process proteins without fat why are we constantly recommending lowfat meats ??
you couldn't make a nice broth out it?

I don't buy this ice age comradery between wolf and hunter it isn't how humans think. Having lived somewhere where stray dogs are problem I can only think a bunch of hungry wolves demanding more food would be even worse. Clearly I'm no scientist

EUAFU

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Probably the only animals that cannot be domesticated are the three cats I have at home.

It would be better for scientists to admit that they have no idea how dogs were domesticated, but arrogance does not allow it.

Seriously, these "ONÇAS", name in Brazil for phantera onca, in the video are less wild than my cats.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15p7CER7jZo

Last edited:

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Probably the only animals that cannot be domesticated are the three cats I have at home.

It would be better for scientists to admit that they have no idea how dogs were domesticated, but arrogance does not allow it.

Seriously, these "ONÇAS", name in Brazil for phantera onca, in the video are less wild than my cats.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15p7CER7jZo
Are you sure you have cats?I recommend feeding them lean meat that will turn them into dogs and then the worst thing you will have to worry about is your couch getting chewed up if you come home late

Last edited:

AthroposRex

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I was reading an article a long time ago about foxes, and how certain recessive traits made them look like dingos or yellow dogs.

The truth is we have no record of ever domesticating anything. Everything we have was done before recorded memory. We can tame, but not domesticate new animals. Possibly because it's genetic tinkering that accomplishes it?

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I was reading an article a long time ago about foxes, and how certain recessive traits made them look like dingos or yellow dogs.

The truth is we have no record of ever domesticating anything. Everything we have was done before recorded memory. We can tame, but not domesticate new animals. Possibly because it's genetic tinkering that accomplishes it?
I'm pretty sure you're spot on with that. Same with domestic crop plants like corn and potatoes and wheat they were created to be what they are by a creator.

Reaction score
I would like to share my point of view. I don't think the official story is too far off, sincerely. First, wolves could have approached because of the smell of food. Wolves and dogs are curious and bold enough to get sufficiently close to interact with us. I'm referring to dogs so we can see the similarities. Living in the wild is really dangerous and having wolves guard us, who have really bad hearing, can make a huge difference. Therefore, we have a very strong argument to put some effort to have wolves on our side. Now, what matters to us is how wolves could have become dogs. Well, it is called artificial selection. Through selective breeding, generation after generation, we can favor traits we find useful. The most treacherous wolves probably ended up dead, the most loyal ones stayed long enough with us to bear their offspring. This is observable and totally logical. I still cannot fathom, though, how the number of chromosomes among species can change, since the vast majority of changes bring disabilities, instead of advantages. About the spare food, it doesn't take much to earn an animal's trust. Feed it a few times and soon enough it'll be spending its free time hanging around with you. You don't need that much food. Also, wolves are great hunters and they can take you to even more food.

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you believe their narrative has merit .But since I have experienced a few wild animal encounters and have lots of experience training all kinds animals wild is just that. No nada zero empathy for you .Smart at sussing out weakness and opportunities to take advantage to benefit themselves but that is a loooong way from the slavish self sacrificing behavior of dogs . If you've ever had a wild predator look at you you'd get it right away. Dogs and wolves have a superficial physical resemblance to each other but it ends there .The things that make them different you cant see at first but you can experience it. Right down through the ages we have had a hatred of wolves from the legends and fairytales of almost every civilization starting in Mesopotamia and going all over Russia France and America. I think you answered your own question with the chromosome mismatch.Youre right to wonder about that part. The problem is the so called researchers who are trying to fit a dog in a wolf suit dont even know about the hardness of the wild mind.They clearly believe tha physical similarity is the whole story. If it looks like a dog it must be a dog or just a t bone away from being a dog. Dogs think alot like we do wolves and other wild candids think but not thoughts you would understand, different worlds. And that isnt even all that separates different species its soo many other things . The neural wiring of wild things is hard wired across so many dimensions it's impossible to wrap your head around. For example Sigfried and Roy, they had gift for understading tigers and could set up situations where it could appear that tigers make great pets but one day during a show their carefully constructed web of behavior modification developed a small crack and that was all that tiger needed he attacked Roy and that was that. Because we can habituate them to respond in certain ways through practice but they aren't ever going to be tame let alone domesticated. This article claims that wild animals can be bribed with food into becoming a new species but that tells us more about scientists than it does dogs or domestication in general.

Last edited:

6079SmithW

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how we were discussing this issue on SH - and then, wham, along comes a very poor mainstream press-release.

It's almost like the awake people (us) are real players, and the others are drones - they are operating on some pretty poor AI.

Feed the wolves that have been killing your livestock and family, and they magically turn into dogs... lol

Reaction score
Well it sounds like you believe their narrative has merit .But since I have experienced a few wild animal encounters and have lots of experience training all kinds animals wild is just that. No nada zero empathy for you .Smart at sussing out weakness and opportunities to take advantage to benefit themselves but that is a loooong way from the slavish self sacrificing behavior of dogs . If you've ever had a wild predator look at you you'd get it right away. Dogs and wolves have a superficial physical resemblance to each other but it ends there .The things that make them different you cant see at first but you can experience it. Right down through the ages we have had a hatred of wolves from the legends and fairytales of almost every civilization starting in Mesopotamia and going all over Russia France and America. I think you answered your own question with the chromosome mismatch.Youre right to wonder about that part. The problem is the so called researchers who are trying to fit a dog in a wolf suit dont even know about the hardness of the wild mind.They clearly believe tha physical similarity is the whole story. If it looks like a dog it must be a dog or just a t bone away from being a dog. Dogs think alot like we do wolves and other wild candids think but not thoughts you would understand, different worlds. And that isnt even all that separates different species its soo many other things . The neural wiring of wild things is hard wired across so many dimensions it's impossible to wrap your head around. For example Sigfried and Roy, they had gift for understading tigers and could set up situations where it could appear that tigers make great pets but one day during a show their carefully constructed web of behavior modification developed a small crack and that was all that tiger needed he attacked Roy and that was that. Because we can habituate them to respond in certain ways through practice but they aren't ever going to be tame let alone domesticated. This article claims that wild animals can be bribed with food into becoming a new species but that tells us more about scientists than it does dogs or domestication in general.
It is true I don't talk from experience. I have never seen a wolf in real life. You have good points and it seems to me we have never documented the domestication of any species, which is odd. I'll keep watching the thread to delve into the topic. Thanks!

Magnetic

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you believe their narrative has merit .But since I have experienced a few wild animal encounters and have lots of experience training all kinds animals wild is just that. No nada zero empathy for you .Smart at sussing out weakness and opportunities to take advantage to benefit themselves but that is a loooong way from the slavish self sacrificing behavior of dogs . If you've ever had a wild predator look at you you'd get it right away. Dogs and wolves have a superficial physical resemblance to each other but it ends there .The things that make them different you cant see at first but you can experience it. Right down that magnetic field orientation rough the ages we have had a hatred of wolves from the legends and fairytales of almost every civilization starting in Mesopotamia and going all over Russia France and America. I think you answered your own question with the chromosome mismatch.Youre right to wonder about that part. The problem is the so called researchers who are trying to fit a dog in a wolf suit dont even know about the hardness of the wild mind.They clearly believe tha physical similarity is the whole story. If it looks like a dog it must be a dog or just a t bone away from being a dog. Dogs think alot like we do wolves and other wild candids think but not thoughts you would understand, different worlds. And that isnt even all that separates different species its soo many other things . The neural wiring of wild things is hard wired across so many dimensions it's impossible to wrap your head around. For example Sigfried and Roy, they had gift for understading tigers and could set up situations where it could appear that tigers make great pets but one day during a show their carefully constructed web of behavior modification developed a small crack and that was all that tiger needed he attacked Roy and that was that. Because we can habituate them to respond in certain ways through practice but they aren't ever going to be tame let alone domesticated. This article claims that wild animals can be bribed with food into becoming a new species but that tells us more about scientists than it does dogs or domestication in general.
A friend of mine would look after a half breed wolf dog mix which her dog played with as a puppy growing up. At a certain point into early adulthood the wolf breed attacked her dog and was trying to kill it so she intervened and almost died when the wolf breed ripped open her arm but luckily no major artery was opened. She told me that the wolf changed its behavior suddenly and attacked her dog. So if evolution with humans didn't create "dogs" from wolves what was it? IMHO when the magnetic field switched polarity during a reset and/or static dielectric fields changed the neural development of wolf fetus in the womb. When the puppies were born they had been changed. They were not afraid of humans like their parent wolves. There is evidence that magnetic field orientation and static electric fields influences life in a profound way. Ground breaking researchers have shown plants and animals are changed due to field orientation. Here is a heavily censored book(hard to find) that discusses it. MagnEffectsLivingSystem.pdf (rexresearch.com) Just by having the fetus exposed to the south magnetic field can change the behavior of man and animals. In chickens if I remember correctly if the eggs of male roosters were exposed to the south magnetic field they became super aggressive in mating with chickens and killed them in the act. They lived shorter lives than those who were exposed to the north magnetic field. Wolf fetus's exposed to a north magnetic field may have induced behavior changes due to the neural reworking of the reverse polarity in the womb. This is a very strong effect which you can see for yourself with sprouts. Take half the sprout seeds and expose them for a few days of a south magnetic field then add water and do the same with the reverse orientation. You will see yourself the sprouts from the south field taste better, grow better and clump less. The north field sprouts will have a somewhat unpalatable taste, seeds will sprout less, and they look sickly. This video shows the result of the great sprout magnetic experiment: (19) Absolutely Amazing! Magnetic bio-growth effects! Never seen before in video - YouTube (19) VIDEO 1 Magnetic seed exposure experiment. Secret suppressed books. PHASE SHIFT discovery - YouTube

Last edited:

JWW427

Trusted Member
Reaction score
You can try and tame wild bears, lions, tigers, cheetahs, alligators, snakes, and the like, but they are one bad mood day away from tearing you apart like fried chicken. Remember the two Las Vegas guys whose lifetime friendly tiger mauled them in 2003? Siegfried and Roy? Weird stuff. A selfish human-animal act for cheap entertainment purposes.
I think they bleached the tigers as well.

SR.jpeg "What the....?"

I think its possible some genetic mutating and manipulation was going on way far back in history.
Dogs and house cats are super special and are not considered caged pets like Iguanas. Mine were part of the family. Was that genetically engineered naturally as well as in a lab?
For me, it would take a lot of engineering to turn a wild wolf into a docile lap Poodle, no matter the length of time and interbreeding.
I smell some ancient technology at play perhaps...

dogs.jpeg W.jpeg

Last edited:

Magnetic

Trusted Member
Reaction score
its funny how the vast majority of dog breeds dont even look like wolves....
supposidly the dogs coloration and
You can try and tame wild bears, lions, tigers, cheetahs, alligators, snakes, and the like, but they are one bad mood day away from tearing you apart like fried chicken. Remember the two Las Vegas guys whose lifetime friendly tiger mauled them in 2003? Siegfried and Roy? Weird stuff. A selfish human-animal act for cheap entertainment purposes.
I think they bleached the tigers as well.

View attachment 5724 "What the....?"

I think its possible some genetic mutating and manipulation was going on way far back in history.
Dogs and house cats are special. Mine were part of the family. Was that genetically engineered naturally as well as in a lab?
For me, it would take a lot of engineering to turn a wild wolf into a docile lap Poodle, no matter the length of time and interbreeding.
I smell some ancient technology at play perhaps...

View attachment 5725View attachment 5726
Since there is no proof of gradual evolution from one species to another after a hundred years of trying, another proof must be offered in its stead. There was a German book published a few years back about experiments from researchers from the CIBA corporation using static electric fields that changed Trout eggs into a primitive Trout species that had died out 300 years ago in Europe. Ferns grown from seeds had different chromosome counts and looked completely different from the parent fern stock. Corn seeds from the static electric field grew to fullness in 3 months and had many roots and many more smaller ears of corn. There is no gradual transition from one species to another so instead an electric field and/or magnetic field changes as in a magnetic reversal or EM disturbance led to the seeds, eggs, and fetuses being morphed instantaneously into a different species. There are many old maps and drawings that show hybrid creatures like a man with legs of a horse etc, some with multiple arms and legs, etc. Not all of these mutations from electro/magnetic fields are beneficial. The mutation of wolves or a wolf like creature long ago was a "dog" as soon as it was born and had been changed neurally and genetically by EM forces to allow itself to be associated with humans.

Last edited:

Myrrinda

Trusted Member
Reaction score
There is a couple in Russia who has a puma. I_am_puma on Instagram. His name is Messi and he behaves just like a normal cat, but sometimes I hope he doesn't "pull the Roy" on the owners. They rescued a cheetah now as well. Messi is so adorable, I confess I'm a fan! This site is Spanish but the article is German, just look at the pictures

When I play with my cats I always tell them they are wild animals and they are little furry creatures that eat little furry creatures 😹 My Momo destroyed my green sweater today, but you just have to forgive them. It's probably a form of hypnosis they do, that's why some Egyptians made statues and everything, you can't stay mad at them. They own you. But it's ok.

About the thing with the magnetics: I have thought something along those lines! I imagine old ancient times, when the woman says "Roy* the tiger is cute and cuddly but way too large, he eats too much and takes up all the space on the couch, do something or it needs to go!" And the man takes the pregnant tiger into an a chamber, switches it on and a while later, out come the tiny tigers that never grow larger than a today's maine coon or something. He has a dinner and all his friends are fascinated and want one, too. You have all the benefits of a feline predator, but it fits into a bag, AND doesn't crush you when it wants to cuddle on your lap. Cats are the best invention ever. Their purring sounds have health benefits.

*For lack of a better name

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine would look after a half breed wolf dog mix which her dog played with as a puppy growing up. At a certain point into early adulthood the wolf breed attacked her dog and was trying to kill it so she intervened and almost died when the wolf breed ripped open her arm but luckily no major artery was opened. She told me that the wolf changed its behavior suddenly and attacked her dog. So if evolution with humans didn't create "dogs" from wolves what was it? IMHO when the magnetic field switched polarity during a reset and/or static dielectric fields changed the neural development of wolf fetus in the womb. When the puppies were born they had been changed. They were not afraid of humans like their parent wolves. There is evidence that magnetic field orientation and static electric fields influences life in a profound way.
Well that story of the girl and her wolf really illustrates the stark difference between the two species. I think there are some threads of ideas here worth thinking about. This electromagnetic exposure idea is interesting and certainly might factor in . The details of such an exposure however would be very difficult to know when it comes to domestic species. I would put it somewhere with the observation that the world as a whole was different in the past.Animals and trees were once bigger whole forms and orders of life that once existed now dont .Not only do they not no longer exist but they simply couldnt exist in the paradigm we now live in. It's like some ancient technologies that we observe here on this forum.We cant replicate or use it probably because a shift in reality took away whatever environment they functioned in and for. I think we need to scrap the dogs from wolves idea altogether and realize that dogs came from dogs, if this electromagnetic altering happens somewhere along the way then it would have been deliberately applied and genomicaly stable ..I do think that a whole different now changed energetic environment is and its effects on life is a possiblity/probablity. ancient texts say this
1-39. After the kingship descended from heaven, the kingship was in Eridug. In Eridug, Alulim became king; he ruled for 28800 years. Alalĝar ruled for 36000 years. 2 kings; they ruled for 64800 years. Then Eridug fell and the kingship was taken to Bad-tibira. In Bad-tibira, En-men-lu-ana ruled for 43200 years. En-men-gal-ana ruled for 28800 years. Dumuzid, the shepherd, ruled for 36000 years. 3 kings; they ruled for 108000 years. Then Bad-tibira fell (?) and the kingship was taken to Larag. In Larag, En-sipad-zid-ana ruled for 28800 years. 1 king; he ruled for 28800 years. Then Larag fell (?) and the kingship was taken to Zimbir. In Zimbir, En-men-dur-ana became king; he ruled for 21000 years. 1 king; he ruled for 21000 years. Then Zimbir fell (?) and the kingship was taken to Šuruppag. In Šuruppag, Ubara-Tutu became king; he ruled for 18600 years. 1 king; he ruled for 18600 years. In 5 cities 8 kings; they ruled for 241200 years. Then the flood swept over.

40-94. After the flood had swept over, and the kingship had descended from heaven, the kingship was in Kiš. In Kiš, Ĝušur became king; he ruled for 1200 years. Kullassina-bēl ruled for {960} {(ms. P2+L2 has instead:) 900} years
And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
my studies lead me to surmise that this event of 'kingship coming from heaven means a 'new world order' it brings new plants, new animals, new people, new laws, new tech , its a kit a kit for a King and his administration and so far since the Sumerian Kingship this has happened 2wice and its gonna happen again and then
The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.

9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.
its a story about a change in the way the world functions from a energetic DNA level

or so it would seem some of this out of the realm of a dicussion about dogs but that bit about wolves and bears being trusted with children is fascinating in light of stories like Siegfried and Roy or that tiger lady who fed her husband to tigers or that woman who got her face eaten of by her friends pet chimp etc..

Last edited:

Oracle

Trusted Member
Reaction score
I remember reading about this a long time ago...

A Soviet scientist created the only tame foxes in the world

In the 1950s a Soviet geneticist began an experiment in guided evolution. He wanted to show how domestication works.

Dmitry K. Belyaev attempted to create a tame fox population.

Through the work of a breeding programme at the Institute of Cytology and Genetics at Novosibirsk, in Russia, he sought to trace the evolutionary pathway of domesticated animals. His test subjects were silver-black foxes, a melanistic version of the red fox that had been bred in farms for the colour of their fur.

Belyaev died in 1985, but the project is still ongoing. It is now overseen by Lyudmila Trut, now in her 80s, who started out as Belyaev's intern.

The Russian fox farm was the first of its kind.

t was a risky area of research.
Belyaev's experiment aimed to replay the process of domestication to see how evolutionary changes came about.
They selected the animals based on how they responded when their cage was opened. About 10% of the foxes displayed a weak "wild-response", meaning they were docile around humans.
"The main task at this stage of selection was eliminating defensive reactions to humans," Trut wrote in 1999. Animals that were friendlier and tolerant to human touch, even to a small degree, were picked out. Those that hid in the corner or made aggressive vocalisations were left in the farm.

Of those friendly foxes, 100 vixens and 30 males were chosen as the first generations of parents.
When the cubs were born, the researchers hand-fed them. They also attempted to touch or pet the foxes when they were two to two-and-a-half months old, for strictly measured periods at a time.

The aggressive and fear avoidance responses were eliminated from the experimental population
If the cubs continued to show aggressive or evasive responses, even after significant human contact, they were discarded from the population – meaning they were made into fur coats. In each selection, less than 10% of tame individuals were used as parents of the next generation.

"As a result of such rigorous selection, the offspring exhibiting the aggressive and fear avoidance responses were eliminated from the experimental population in just two to three generations of selection," Trut wrote in a study published in 2009.

The foxes at the fox-farm were never trained to become tame. They lived in cages and had minimal contact with humans. Belyaev's aim was to create a genetically-distinct population, so he simply selected for particular behavioural traits.

"Belyaev had one main goal at the beginning of experiment: to reproduce the process of historical domestication at the experiment, during a short time," says Trut. "This goal didn't change. But during the experiment the understanding of evolutionary process changed."

By the fourth generation, the scientists started to see dramatic changes.

The cubs were beginning to behave more like dogs. They wagged their tails and "eagerly" sought contact with humans. They whined, whimpered and licked researchers just like puppies would.

The foxes could 'read' human cues and respond correctly to gestures or glances
The process was surprisingly quick. "By intense selective breeding, we have compressed into a few decades an ancient process that originally unfolded over thousands of years," wrote Trut in 1999.

These foxes were called the "elite of domestication", and as the generations passed the proportion of these elite cubs grew. By 2005-2006, almost all the foxes were playful, friendly and behaving like domestic dogs. The foxes could "read" human cues and respond correctly to gestures or glances. The vocalisations they made were different to wild foxes.

"The proudest moment for us was creating a unique population of genetically tame foxes, the only the one in the world," says Trut.

Brian Hare is associate professor of evolutionary anthropology at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina and author of the 2013 book The Genius of Dogs. He travelled to Russia on the Trans-Siberian railroad to visit the farm, in order to compare fox cubs with dog puppies for a study published in 2005.

"The fox farm experiment was crucial, in that it told us that domestication can happen relatively quickly in the right circumstances," he says. "The fact that in fifty generations, they were wagging their tails and barking, this is really incredible."

It was not just the foxes' personalities that were changing
The key point is that the experiment offers a hint as to the stages by which domestication takes place.

"Before, we knew that dogs and wolves were descended from the same ancestor, but we didn't know how," says Hare. "What came first? The fox experiment showed that just by selecting for friendliness, all these other changes, including an increase in social skills, happened by accident."

In fact, Belyaev and Trut soon found that it was not just the foxes' personalities that were changing. Their bodies were too.

"The main surprise was that, together with changing of behaviour, many new morphological traits in tame foxes start to appear from the first steps of selection," said Trut.

The domesticated foxes had floppier, drooping ears, which are found in other domestic animals such as dogs, cats, pigs, horses and goats. Curlier tails – also found in dogs and pigs – were also recorded.

All these changes were brought on by selecting for one trait: tameability
What's more, "in only a few generations, the friendly foxes were showing changes in coat colour," says Hare.

The process seems to be ongoing. "At the more advanced steps of selection, changes in the parameters of the skeletal system began to arise," Trut wrote. "They included shortened legs, tail, snout, upper jaw, and widened skull."

The foxes started looking more delicate and, put simply, "cute".

Their reproductive habits also changed. The domesticated foxes became sexually mature about a month earlier than non-domesticated foxes. Their mating season was longer and they could breed out of season. On average, their litters had one more cub.

All these changes were brought on by selecting for one trait: tameability. This gives us a big clue to how domestication works.

The physical traits Belyaev and Trut found, like the floppy ears, were those you would expect in a juvenile. But the domestic foxes carried them through into adulthood, suggesting the selection process had slowed down aspects of their development.

This might have something to do with chemicals in their bodies.

Selection has even affected the neurochemistry of our foxes' brains
Belyaev reasoned that selecting for tameability changed the mix of hormones and neurotransmitters the foxes' bodies made. He believed behavioural responses were "regulated by a fine balance between neurotransmitters and hormones at the level of the whole organism".

For example, the drooping ears of the domesticated foxes might be a result of slowing down the adrenal glands. This could arrest the cells before the ear has time to stand to attention.

"Selection has even affected the neurochemistry of our foxes' brains," wrote Trut. One example she described was a drop in the "hormone-producing activity of the foxes' adrenal glands."

Domestic foxes also had higher levels of serotonin than farm-bred foxes. That is intriguing, because serotonin is "thought to be the leading mediator inhibiting animals' aggressive behaviour." Serotonin, like other neurotransmitters, is critically involved in shaping an animal's development from its earliest stages.

The project continues to this day. As of August 2016, there are 270 tame vixens and 70 tame males on the farm. However, it has run into financial problems.

"The current situation is not catastrophic, but not stable at the same time," writes Kharlamova. "The main reason of instability is of course the expense of this experiment."In the 1990s, the institute supported itself by selling fox pelts. At the end of the 1990s, they started to sell the foxes as house pets. At present, a Florida-based company called the Lester Kalmanson Agency Inc imports foxes for those who want to keep them as pets. Each fox costs $8,900, because of the delivery costs.

With the foxes now tame, the researchers are trying to identify the genes that change under selection for tameness. "The main current goals are focused on molecular-genetics mechanisms of domestic behaviour," says Trut.
Source

This is a massively long article, I only selected the parts related to the fox experiment but it's all well worth a read.

I have a dingo x kelpie.
An amazing critter. Incredibly loyal,obedient,smart but it's idea of play is to grab a hold of you while making vicious sounds if you attempt rough and tumble.
Not attempting to damage , but I tend not to play with her as it's just too full on. I've watched her leap 4 feet up a tree and rip a Goanna down and kill it, a specimen as long as I am tall.
She grabs them between the shoulders and constantly shakes them from side to side so they cannot get the coordination to claw or bite her. This can go on for quite a while depending on the size of the Goanna,with her taking rests in between and resuming when they try to get away. Eventually they can't crawl away anymore and she gives them the coup de grace. I've had her since a tiny pup so her technique is obviously inherited knowledge. She also hates foxes with a passion, but both these things could be because her job is to guard the chickens, at which she excels and both these creatures are the chickens biggest threat .
She's generally not in the slightest bit aggressive either with humans or other dogs, but she is very wary of humans until she knows them well.
Well it sounds like you believe their narrative has merit .But since I have experienced a few wild animal encounters and have lots of experience training all kinds animals wild is just that. No nada zero empathy for you .Smart at sussing out weakness and opportunities to take advantage to benefit themselves but that is a loooong way from the slavish self sacrificing behavior of dogs . If you've ever had a wild predator look at you you'd get it right away. Dogs and wolves have a superficial physical resemblance to each other but it ends there .The things that make them different you cant see at first but you can experience it. Right down that magnetic field orientation rough the ages we have had a hatred of wolves from the legends and fairytales of almost every civilization starting in Mesopotamia and going all over Russia France and America. I think you answered your own question with the chromosome mismatch.Youre right to wonder about that part. The problem is the so called researchers who are trying to fit a dog in a wolf suit dont even know about the hardness of the wild mind.They clearly believe tha physical similarity is the whole story. If it looks like a dog it must be a dog or just a t bone away from being a dog. Dogs think alot like we do wolves and other wild candids think but not thoughts you would understand, different worlds. And that isnt even all that separates different species its soo many other things . The neural wiring of wild things is hard wired across so many dimensions it's impossible to wrap your head around. For example Sigfried and Roy, they had gift for understading tigers and could set up situations where it could appear that tigers make great pets but one day during a show their carefully constructed web of behavior modification developed a small crack and that was all that tiger needed he attacked Roy and that was that. Because we can habituate them to respond in certain ways through practice but they aren't ever going to be tame let alone domesticated. This article claims that wild animals can be bribed with food into becoming a new species but that tells us more about scientists than it does dogs or domestication in general.
A friend of mine would look after a half breed wolf dog mix which her dog played with as a puppy growing up. At a certain point into early adulthood the wolf breed attacked her dog and was trying to kill it so she intervened and almost died when the wolf breed ripped open her arm but luckily no major artery was opened. She told me that the wolf changed its behavior suddenly and attacked her dog. So if evolution with humans didn't create "dogs" from wolves what was it? IMHO when the magnetic field switched polarity during a reset and/or static dielectric fields changed the neural development of wolf fetus in the womb. When the puppies were born they had been changed. They were not afraid of humans like their parent wolves. There is evidence that magnetic field orientation and static electric fields influences life in a profound way. Ground breaking researchers have shown plants and animals are changed due to field orientation. Here is a heavily censored book(hard to find) that discusses it. MagnEffectsLivingSystem.pdf (rexresearch.com) Just by having the fetus exposed to the south magnetic field can change the behavior of man and animals. In chickens if I remember correctly if the eggs of male roosters were exposed to the south magnetic field they became super aggressive in mating with chickens and killed them in the act. They lived shorter lives than those who were exposed to the north magnetic field. Wolf fetus's exposed to a north magnetic field may have induced behavior changes due to the neural reworking of the reverse polarity in the womb. This is a very strong effect which you can see for yourself with sprouts. Take half the sprout seeds and expose them for a few days of a south magnetic field then add water and do the same with the reverse orientation. You will see yourself the sprouts from the south field taste better, grow better and clump less. The north field sprouts will have a somewhat unpalatable taste, seeds will sprout less, and they look sickly. This video shows the result of the great sprout magnetic experiment: (19) Absolutely Amazing! Magnetic bio-growth effects! Never seen before in video - YouTube (19) VIDEO 1 Magnetic seed exposure experiment. Secret suppressed books. PHASE SHIFT discovery - YouTube
Thanks so much for the pdf link!

Last edited:

HollyHoly

Trusted Member
Reaction score
trying to make a list of domestic animals
dogs
cats
ferrets
guinea pig
chinchilla
rats