The solar system: Our view from here

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
I read this just now, which I found strange, as I photographed the sun this very afternoon, and saw nothing...

A SUNSPOT has been spotted forming on the surface of the Sun and it could grow to a monstrous size in the coming days, astronomers have revealed.

Source

Teddys timelapse video on the link is UNREAL.....

Nasa image below

1612895497824.png

My photograph taken today: Canon 7D, shutter 2/8000 sec, ISO 100, Shutter F5.6, 900mm lens, 8 stop Nd filter. 14.53pm GMT 9/2/21

_MG_0634 sq.jpg

_MG_0634 section.jpg

Slightly over exposed
_MG_0634 section ox.jpg

Of course, NASA's uber duber all singing camera and lens, satellite floating in a vaccum not frozen up powered by the sun kit is better than mine. As is Teddy's, obvs.

Also, my photo doesn't make for headlines of doom either...

Bitbybit

Trusted Member
Reaction score
So apparently, tomorrow is the 'perihelion' or the day the earth comes closest to the sun... Forecast looks worse for tomorrow and today is clear skies so I gave it a look.

'Earth comes closest to the sun every year around January 3. It is farthest from the sun every year around July 4. The difference in distance between Earth's nearest point to the sun in January and farthest point from the sun in July is 3.1 million miles (5 million kilometers). Earth is about 91.4 million miles (147.1 million kilometers) from the sun in early January, in contrast to about 94.5 million miles (152 million kilometers) in early July' Link

All of these shots are straight off the camera, exposure balanced and 1 dust spot removed from each. Notice, our friend the sun spot has now gone, I see none at all today.

I also broke out the colour filters, Red, Green and Yellow, to see what may be hiding in there... Notice the softer edges of the sun with the colour filters, other that that, I see no discernible difference.

Also, I can measure zero difference in the size of my images over the last week. Same camera and lens, same exact size Sun, no 3% difference detectable as yet.

Very well made photos!.
ps. The disk size difference over one week i think should be about 0,05% so probably see again in a few months could help
Straight off the bat the moon close ups look to me like we are on the outside looking in on another world as in through the looking glass.
Best description I have heard yet ? that's how it feels looking at it through a scope too!
I agree. I have ever thought of it like that. Makes one ponder. Like perhaps the moon is a reflection off of maybe the north magnetic pole revealing what the firmament actually looks like. That’s just at first read. I like it
Earth comes closest to the sun every year around January 3. It is farthest from the sun every year around July 4. The difference in distance between Earth's nearest point to the sun in January and farthest point from the sun in July is 3.1 million miles (5 million kilometers). Earth is about 91.4 million miles (147.1 million kilometers) from the sun in early January, in contrast to about 94.5 million miles (152 million kilometers) in early July
I wonder why it’s warmer when we are further from the sun. At least warmer in the northern hemisphere.

axial tilt

Last edited:

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
I am currently reading 'The Secret Doctrine' by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, this passage made me look at the moon in a different light.

In reality the Moon is only the satellite of the Earth in one respect, viz., that physically the Moon revolves round the Earth. But in every other respect it is the Earth which is the satellite of the Moon, and not vice versa. Startling as the statement may seem it is not without confirmation from scientific knowledge. It is evidenced by the tides, by the cyclic changes in many forms of disease which coincide with the lunar phases; it can be traced in the growth of plants, and is very marked in the phenomena of human gestation and conception. The importance of the Moon and its influence on the Earth were recognized in every ancient religion, notably the Jewish, and have been remarked by many observers of psychical and physical phenomena. But, so far as Science knows, the Earth's action on the Moon is confined to the physical attraction, which causes her to circle in her orbit. And should an objector insist that this fact alone is sufficient evidence that the Moon is truly the Earth's satellite on other planes of action, one may reply by asking whether a mother, who walks round and round her child's cradle keeping watch over the infant, is the subordinate of her child or dependent upon it; though in one sense she is its satellite, yet she is certainly older and more fully developed than the child

I am not sure if this changes anything Photographically, but in photography, relationships between subject and photographer are everything. It certainly puts a different spin on things, for me anyway.

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
She lost me at this appeal to the provenance of antiquity.
The importance of the Moon and its influence on the Earth were recognized in every ancient religion,

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Moon this Eve, using an old anlogue lens, the focus is a bit off, however.

Look at the light this thing gives off. You can see the area between the moon and the blue sky. Green around the moon is chromatic aberration from the old lens. Canon 7d, 900mm anologue lens, F5.6, 1/350 second, ISO 800.

_MG_0638 sm.jpg

300mm crop, A little bit later on, it's got a flat tyre this eve...

_MG_0665 2 sm.jpg

Inverted, always appears organic to me when viewed like this!

_MG_0665 2i sm.jpg

300mm crop, slightly brighter, Rectangles & straight lines quite noticible tonight...

_MG_0665 2 sm.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_0665 sm.jpg
    _MG_0665 sm.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 24

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Moon this Eve, using an old anlogue lens, the focus is a bit off, however.

Look at the light this thing gives off. You can see the area between the moon and the blue sky. Green around the moon is chromatic aberration from the old lens. Canon 7d, 900mm anoligue lens, F5.6, 1/350 second, ISO 800.

View attachment 6889

300mm crop, A little bit later on, it's got a flat tyre this eve...

View attachment 6890

Inverted, always appears organic to me when viewed like this!

View attachment 6892

300mm crop, slightly brighter, Rectangles & straight lines quite noticible tonight...

View attachment 6890
Wow, that thing really looks like it has taken a right old beating, the crater in the bottom right is really impressive!

kd-755

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Fascinating. Are the colours the result of the post processing?

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Here's a 8000 x 8000 pixel moon composite split into 4, so you can see it (and host it)

Original is 2 Hemispheres shot on a Canon 5DS, composited together.

It reveals quite a bit of detail which you cannot normally see such as geometric shapes and lines.

View at 100% if you can.

They are pretty damn good, also surprised to see "stars" in the background.

Looks somewhat similar to the northern region of Siberia, pockmarked.

It maybe just the camera but I see so much static/noise, like when an old tv is in between stations, this happens with the sun as well but i do not know enough about photography to know what it is!

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Fascinating. Are the colours the result of the post processing?
Yes, well an enhancement of chromatic abberation. There are colours there. The moon has some colour, difficult to be exact about which though as digital sensors are rubbish at seeing, or rather determining correct colour.
Here's a 8000 x 8000 pixel moon composite split into 4, so you can see it (and host it)

Original is 2 Hemispheres shot on a Canon 5DS, composited together.

It reveals quite a bit of detail which you cannot normally see such as geometric shapes and lines.

View at 100% if you can.

They are pretty damn good, also surprised to see "stars" in the background.

Looks somewhat similar to the northern region of Siberia, pockmarked.

It maybe just the camera but I see so much static/noise, like when an old tv is in between stations, this happens with the sun as well but i do not know enough about photography to know what it is!
Yeh some of the noise is due to ISO and boosting of contrast.

Amazing, those round Craters reminiscent of those discussed in Siberia...

Akanah

Reaction score
Maybe the white Sun on our Sky is a simulator Sun to hide the darker real Sun. This could explain why I sometimes saw two Suns since 2013.

Timeshifter

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Amazing photo man! Did you get any more? I wonder if you could squeeze some more detail out of the 'moon' object.

It does look like it's spherical to me...
Unfortunatley not. I only had a 10 minnute window at work, and it was overcast for most of that. I managed to get around 50 shots, all pretty similar to this, heres a few more below. No matter how much I alter the exposures I cannot see detail on the 'moon'

_MG_0947 c web.jpg

and an 'over edit'

_MG_0961 c web.jpg

ultra over processed

_MG_0960 c web.jpg

Citezenship

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Does the over processed image suggest there is nothing there, if there was something there would there not be a "noise signature"??

Sorry for over using the word there.

Tips
Tips
Please respect our Posting Rules.

Users who are viewing this thread