SH Archive Replies Welcome Hall, First Presbyterian Church Buffalo NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD Archive

Not actually KorbenDallas
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Note: This post was recovered from the Sh.org archive.
Username: KorbenDallas
Date: 2018-12-03 06:21:32
This "Welcome Hall" is a hard to zero in on type of a name. Even with all the additional attributes the search results are confusing.

I think those architects were assigned to fix up multiple existing structures. We have this same issue of mudflooded buildings being allegedly built by this or that name.

In my opinion these building were built by someone else - from the ground up that is. Of particular interest is why our traditional history chose not to provide the names of those original architects. Were those names lost due to some catastrophe, or due to various other reasons?

trismegistus

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: trismegistus
Date: 2018-12-03 15:53:07
@anotherlayer I'm glad someone is taking the time to do this area justice.

I grew up in Lewiston, about a 30 minute drive from Buffalo right on the Niagara river near the Tesla Hydroelectric Plant. I spent many days of my misspent youth hanging around Center St. and in my recollection I remember a house converted into a few small businesses looking quite strange. After spending five minutes on this site, I forgot just how many anomalous buildings are on that street. Here is some more general information on the town to paint a wider picture.

755_center_street.jpg

here it is on google maps. It doesn't really seem practical to build a house in the ground like that, scroll back in forth in maps and zoom to get some better angles and you will see what I'm talking about.

Right across the street you have the Lewiston Opera House which has an anomaly worth pointing out.

opera hall 1.jpg

Here's another angle on google maps. Who builds a door and staircase in front of a "basement" window like that? It honestly looks like the foundation of a completely different structure that they built this on top of.

460_center.jpg

This building is a trip, as it used to be a creepy McDonalds in my youth. The drive-thru was on the opposite side of the building from where they typically are, so they used to hand you food in a basket with a long pole through the passenger window! Anyway, note the right side of the building and its door and windows at ground level. Thankfully this picture exists because nowadays there is overgrowth on the long since closed restaurant covering the area in question.

I apologize if this is a little too off topic compared to the OP. I can branch it off into its own thread if need be. Hell, Western NY likely needs its own subtopic there's so much anomaly here.

anotherlayer

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Username: anotherlayer
Date: 2018-12-03 16:59:28
Hey, hey, fantastic addition to the thread! If I am not mistaken, the last building "Frontier House" has a for sale sign on it now, yeah? My wife and I oogled it for a minute. I seriously would have looked at it, had we not lived in the city. I love Lewiston.

And half of 'Last Chance Saloon' is absolutely underground. Hmpf, this whole area and it's history should be tossed into the bin and written all over again. There is so much sketchy history we have here, particularly the burning of *every* town from here Buffalo to Fort Erie to Niagara Falls in 1813. I mean, we celebrate the idea that the British burned all churches and all the schools. Are we sure that's the type of people the British were?

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.58.38 AM.png

trismegistus

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Date: 2018-12-03 18:21:41
Considering you'd likely have to spend weeks and tons of money scrubbing french fry grease out of the building, I can't say I would recommend it! Also the only restrooms in the building were down in the dingy, creepy basement.

Right next to the Frontier House, there is a small garden that is supposed to dedicate the women of WNY and Canada coming together to say "we're both sorry for burning down every square inch of your towns", so here's a plaque and some bushes!

As I'm sure you know, a few miles down you also have Fort Niagara.

PlandeNiagara1755-6_adjusted_smaller.jpg
Fort-Map-large.jpg

Not quite a full "Star fort" per se, but pretty damn close. Note the "unique" American flag it flew, as well.

Doesn't sound too different from modern days, eh? :sneaky:

I wonder if this wasn't an Iriquois fort before Europeans showed up. I bet there's some folks on the various Indian reservations in the area who might have some insight, if you can ever get them talking.

anotherlayer

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Date: 2018-12-03 18:38:47
I'm pretty sure the Iroquois Senecas say that the star forts were there before them, actually. While we insist the natives helped build the "fort", the star was already there. In fact, Fort Niagara doesn't talk about the star formation, at all.

So, there they were, sitting on top of a star "fort" and the best they could do was to put up stockade. And when they talk about how the existing Fort was built in 1726, it's the same story. They placed some junk on top of what was there. Not sure how we get along with each other when we have identical star forts in China and India and Vietnam, Canada, US, all of Europe, Russia, Africa... aren't we all enemies and havent we been enemies for thousands of years? Why are we all building "dutch-french star forts"?

And, I'd be ok with french fry grease, it's the basement bathrooms that my wife would not have a minute of. And I just have to snort "basement bathrooms". Of course, people way back when didn't poop, apparantly...

trismegistus

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Date: 2018-12-03 19:23:37
I vaguely remember taking a tour of Fort Niagara in elementary or middle school. The tour guide mentioned how the "wedge" shape of the wall was tactically useful to stop a full-on frontal assault of the walls. Its funny how that detail stays with me after all these years. Maybe my subconscious knew that 20+ years later I would be researching the area with a completely new perspective. What is also funny that for all of these "star" protections against frontal assaults, the fort was taken by the Brits without "firing a single shot." So much good that did them!

niagara.jpg niagaracornerthumb.jpg niagararedoubtthumb.jpg

That first overhead looks like the star shaped bit was either shaped from dirt, or the structure that used to be above it was torn down.

You're right, that should have said first floor bathrooms.

anotherlayer

Trusted Member
Reaction score
Date: 2018-12-03 20:49:41
And that goes for all of these star forts. They all seem to point inwards, towards the citizens! Who were they scared of, the people? Doesn't add up. Same goes for the Great Wall. In countless sections of the wall, you could easily just be on the next hill over looking down and whatever you thought you were protecting.

Ah, ok. I thought this was a tie-in to the whole discussion about the Great Stink and how the people who built the Palace of Versailles didn't bother with bathrooms (or heating).

trismegistus

Staff member
Trusted Member
Reaction score
Date: 2018-12-03 21:08:52
Could very well be, my comment was more tongue in cheek referencing the fact that the "basement" was probably the original first floor but mudfloods buried it to make it the "basement."

I did manage to find some more evidence of it, too.

Here is the back view of a building right across from Tops (local grocery store for those not from the area), it is currently an optometrist's office. Someone is going to have to come up with a really good explanation why someone would go out of their way to make a door that requires you to step down some stairs into.

I also found this interesting blurb about Vincenzo's pizza, right next door to the Lewiston Opera House. On that note, I know that a good pizza is easy to come by in the area, but Vincenzo's is a particular standout :D

From historiclewiston.org:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread